Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:28:16 GMT
From: nutmeggernopsameja.com
Subject: Re: Case Study: Headliner part 6/6


In article <7roft0$k1d$1nopsam1.deja.com>, David M. Arnold <darnoldnopsampc.com> wrote: > > > Headliner Replacement: A Case Study (part 6 of 6) > > 8: Summary > > Removing and repairing the fabric on the headliner is a job > that can be tackled by anyone possessing a minimum of mechanical > expertise. Reparing the fabric on the sunroof is more involved, > since dismantling and reassembling the sunroof mechanism is > involved. This task should be attempted only by someone confident > in their mechanical skills. I had help with mine. > > Anyone attempting headliner repair should keep the following > in mind: > > 1) The headliner shell is delicate, especially on a model with > a sunroof. The shell should be handled from the sides only. My shell was rotted away in areas. Replaced with cardboard. > > 2) Standard headliner material has 1/4" polyurethane foam > backing. This is too thick for the sunroof, and special, > 1/8" backing material should be used. This material is more > expensive, and is available in fewer color choices. The 1/4" > material is fine for the headliner proper, and yields a plush > look. I used 1/8" all over, got the material inexpensively from a fabric store....."JoAnnes" > > 3) A factory-looking repair of the sunroof fabric probably > needs to be done by a professional auto trim shop. Simply > gluing the fabric on the sunroof will work, but the profile > of the underside of the sunroof will be visible through the > fabric. Hmmm.....mine isn't. > > 4) Even though 3M Super-77 has been mentioned as an appropriate > adhesive, I believe that it may be inappropriate for this > application. Especially in a model with a sunroof, the geometry > of the headliner poses a problem. I wish we had asked the > guy from whom we bought the material about the proper adhesive. > When we did the headliner in the '76 99GLi, I did not have > spray adhesive and used brush-on contact cement. Brush-on > cement has its own problems, but I think it did a better job > than the spray. Well the same thing happened to me although my fabric didn't shrink. At first I used just regular glue, and the liner fell down in back over the rear seats. Once I used the 3m, it was fine! Really, it looks great! I went with a darker grey instead of the lighter grey and the contrast with the light molding looks awesome. Had trouble with the chicken handles. Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Return to Main Index

The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2019 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
For usage guidelines, see the Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page.
[Contact | Site Map | Saabnet.com on Facebook | Saabnet.com on Twitter | Shop Amazon via TSN | Site Donations]