Advice on Gasket replacement for Turbo to Exhaust ?? - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Requesting advice. I am in the middle of 4-part job on my daughter's 2006 sport combi:
1) Repair CHMSL (high mount brake light) w. new LED's - DONE
2) New EVAP solenoid/check valve/hose assembly - DONE
3) Turbo to exhaust manifold gasket - PROBLEM w studs =(
4) Re-replace the NAPA/Felpro front crank seal (all I could get same day) I can let this go if I have too, it's okay for now.
I have 2 left side Turbo studs out, but the other two are stubborn ! Evaluating my options, so opinions are welcome, and experience even more so !! I was hoping to do this without removing the turbo from its cooling and oil lines.
I will try not to touch the exhaust manifold gasket and studs, because it is not leaking now, and I don't want to deal w. broken studs. I bought this car about 3 1/2 years ago. When I replaced motor mounts I discovered two of them were really bad, and the turbo support brace was broken. I suspect this contributed to the leak between the exhaust manifold and the turbo.
1) Anyone ever trim out the gasket and slot it on the outer edge to slide it into place ? With the 2 left studs out, and the nuts off the other two I could try this (cutting the old gasket out will be a pain).
2) Is my best route just to bite the bullet and fully remove the turbo - risking leaks for oil and coolant that are not there now ?
3) Any other thoughts beside these two options ??
Mark in Marine
->Posting last edited on Fri, 6 Jul 2018 14:27:44.
Posts in this Thread:
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!