Transmission fluid for 2001 and earlier Saab 9-5 - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main 95 Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Most Recently Edited Saabnet.com Photo Galleries]
Transmission fluid for 2001 and earlier Saab 9-5
Posted by Jacob [Email] (more from Jacob) on Sat, 9 Feb 2019 13:32:47
I just bought a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero, and I'm looking for the right transmission fluid to do flushes.
Seems there's a lot of debate about whether you should do synthetic or not, and what particular fluids to use.
Am I correct in thinking that any of the following would work?
* Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic Mutli-Vehicle ATF (Seems to do literally everything, from Dex-III to Type-IV and Dex-VI)
* Castrol Transmax High Mileage ATF (Seems to focus more on the Dex-III / Merc side)
* The non-high-mileage versions of both of the above (which I'm less interested in, because high mileage)
My new Saab has 140k miles on the odometer and I'd like to keep it happy as long as possible. It has a new head gasket and turbo (previous owner did that just before selling), and there's an oil leak from the front passenger side of the engine which I'm looking at. Could be timing cover, could be crankshaft gasket, could be because it needs the updated PCV (which is on the way from eEuroparts).
The title says '2001 and earlier' because I have the same question about the 1999 V6 9-5 I'm having delivered to my house soon. Zero Saabs to two, here we go!
posted by 206.251.46...
Posts in this Thread:
- Transmission fluid for 2001 and earlier Saab 9-5, Jacob, Sat, 9 Feb 2019 13:32:47 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Transmission fluid for 2001 and earlier Saab 9-5, Justin VanAbrahams, Tue, 12 Feb 2019 08:06:44
- Re: Transmission fluid for 2001 and earlier Saab 9-5, Charles, Sun, 10 Feb 2019 11:47:29
- +1 Castrol Transmax High Mileage ATF, DnstrDan , Sat, 9 Feb 2019 15:53:55
- Dexron-III, MI-Roger , Sat, 9 Feb 2019 13:42:06
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!