Click Banner for Details on this Saabnet.com Classified
Good Morning All:
I recently bought a 1990 900S (non-turbo). One of the issues with the car was that there was a slight gasoline odor inside and outside the car after driving it.
Last night, on my way home from work, I noticed that I used about a third of a tank of gas on my 5-mile trip home (hence the 0.8 MPG). Whatever had been causing the issue had reached critical mass. I pulled the access cover for the fuel pump and the recess in the tank was full of gas. The previous owner has placed a couple of rags in the recess - probably to stop the dripping when the leak was slow.
I didn't have any trouble finding the source of the problem. The fuel pump had been replaced less than a year ago. One of the check valves had was broken and the mechanic had clamped a hose to what remained of the valve, rather than horizontal as would be normal with an undamaged valve. With the access cover in place, the hose was badly kinked, leading to its failure.
I've got the valve on order. The question is how to connect the new valve to the plastic fuel line.
I read many posts about this topic, but have a question. Will fuel injection hose like Goodyear SAE30R9 (http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=5144) be adequate? It is rated for a working pressure of 100 PSI. I believe my car should be producing about 43 psi. I know the answer seems obvious, but I would like to have this confirmed in case I'm overlooking anything.
The other issue is how to connect the hose to the plastic fuel line. That's been addressed in the posts I've read and I think I've got that covered. But I'm open to advise.
Jim from Minnesota, USA.
posted by 69.180.16...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- 0.8 miles per gallon? Not so good., Jim Stevens, Thu, 18 Dec 2008 05:31:41
- Fixed. Thanks for the advice., Jim Stevens, Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:27:34
- Re: 0.8 miles per gallon? Not so good., diskullman, Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:06:24
- image of homemade fuel line tool, Jeremy, Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:32:33
- I'll try again... n/m, Jeremy, Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:34:52
- ok... one more try.. n/m, Jeremy, Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:40:48
- Re: ok... one more try.. n/m, Jeremy, Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:26:38
- And again, even after reading the words!, vsfoxe , Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:33:19
- From the FAQ's....., vsfoxe , Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:30:58
- Re: 0.8 miles per gallon? Not so good., Justin VanAbrahams, Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:00:38
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!