NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
|C900 Bulletin Board|
1979-1993 & 94 Conv
Measure voltages and see where the voltage drops are. If you are not getting 14v across the alternator itself, then I would try swapping the vreg as it is quick and easy and cheap, check wear level on brushes.
I had to replace the main + battery cable on both my c900s and it made a huge difference. Also, the wire from the alternator to starter can be bad and is worth replacing if so, though that is a different issue. Definitely check the alternator ground - I have a thicker wire that I run to a bolt on the block since corrosion can be an issue up here. Would not hurt to check other ground points, eg under the rad.
Make sure belts and pulleys are all in good order such that the alternator is spinning well.
Pulling the alternator is a bit of a pita, at least in that it is a bit of time and manipulation to get it out... you risk damaging old hoses and causing leaks in the process. So I would try other approaches first.
Posts in this Thread:
- alternator not charging, brownetowner, Mon, 8 Jan 2018 12:40:09
- Brushes worn?, tweetiedancer, Thu, 11 Jan 2018 05:46:15
- Re: alternator not charging, Jawerdna , Wed, 10 Jan 2018 07:11:42
- revisit the ground wire, AaronG, Tue, 9 Jan 2018 13:10:57
- Dash light must work for charging circuit, Notnoel , Mon, 8 Jan 2018 18:24:47
- bulb is OK, brownertowner, Tue, 9 Jan 2018 04:06:49
- Re: alternator not charging, StoicBlue87 , Mon, 8 Jan 2018 14:33:39
- +1 on wiring, Snowmobile , Mon, 8 Jan 2018 20:07:18 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: alternator not charging, JerseySaab , Mon, 8 Jan 2018 13:03:35
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.