revisit the ground wire - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
If the bulb illuminates when you turn the key but is off while running, AND you aren't charging, most of the time it is the ground.
You CANNOT verify the condition of the ground by simply looking at the end on the alternator. It can break internally. It lives a tough life.
Try jumping a new ground for the alternator. Easiest spot is one of the case bolts on the alternator body to one of the dipstick mount bolts. Use a meaty wire. I wouldn't use thinner than 12 gauge.
Making the new ground takes all of 5 minutes, but if you want to test before you start, you could just run a jumper cable from the alternator body to the neg post on battery, but it needs to make good contacts
posted by 70.127.15...
Posts in this Thread:
- alternator not charging, brownetowner, Mon, 8 Jan 2018 12:40:09
- Brushes worn?, tweetiedancer, Thu, 11 Jan 2018 05:46:15
- Re: alternator not charging, Jawerdna , Wed, 10 Jan 2018 07:11:42
- revisit the ground wire, AaronG, Tue, 9 Jan 2018 13:10:57 <-- Viewing This Message
- Dash light must work for charging circuit, Notnoel , Mon, 8 Jan 2018 18:24:47
- bulb is OK, brownertowner, Tue, 9 Jan 2018 04:06:49
- Re: alternator not charging, StoicBlue87 , Mon, 8 Jan 2018 14:33:39
- Re: alternator not charging, JerseySaab , Mon, 8 Jan 2018 13:03:35
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!