Good advice - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
I would follow skibum100s advice and pull the valve cover to have a look at the sprockets - you might also want to check the extension of the timing chain tensioner to see how much chain stretch you have. If you decide to try to replace the head gasket (and it's great to have another working car, so you can take your time!), I would do so knowing that this is a short-run solution, so I probably wouldn't replace too much, i.e. I wouldn't replace the balance chain guides, etc.
If you have never replaced exhaust manifold studs, you must be luckier than most of us. As such, if they are all still intact, I would disconnect at the turbo and remove the head with the exhaust manifold attached, as you are very likely to break some of the fragile studs while removing the nuts. If you happen to break any, they are not terrible to replace with the head off of the engine with some working room - good cobalt drill bits are the key. I wrote up a procedure on this a few years ago and am happy to answer questions.
posted by 207.229.147...
Posts in this Thread:
- Head gasket time approaches...., Noel , Sat, 26 May 2018 11:31:49
- Re: Head gasket time approaches...., skibumm100, Thu, 31 May 2018 05:27:00
- Good advice, Bill Homer, Thu, 31 May 2018 12:28:42 <-- Viewing This Message
- One more suggestion, cgwiz , Wed, 30 May 2018 08:34:52
- Re: Head gasket time approaches...., KevinC, Tue, 29 May 2018 23:20:31
- Re: Head gasket time approaches...., Craig, Tue, 29 May 2018 15:19:51
- Re: Head gasket time approaches...., Bill Homer, Tue, 29 May 2018 14:22:42
- Re: Head gasket time approaches...., cgwiz , Tue, 29 May 2018 10:48:38
- Re: Head gasket time approaches...., MT-Erik , Mon, 28 May 2018 18:30:06
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!