Re: Alternator Conversion-Instructions - Saab Vintage Models Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
|Vintage Models Bulletin Board|
[Main Vintage Models Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Most Recently Edited Saabnet.com Photo Galleries]
Re: Alternator Conversion-Instructions
Posted by Tom Shehan [Email] (more from Tom Shehan) on Fri, 30 Mar 2018 06:21:12
In Reply to: Re: Alternator Conversion, SaabDude [Profile/Gallery]
, Mon, 12 Mar 2018 20:10:43
I found a printed copy of the "Chip Lamb--Tubbs" instructions so I am posting them here. This conversion took less than 15 minutes and now my lights are bright! For safety (probably fooling myself) I always drive withe running lights and a third brake light mounted on the package shelf.
Obtain an alternator from a 1981-83 SAAB 900. (I found a rebuild from the local auto store in-stock for $56.00)
1. Disconnect battery and remove wiring from old alternator
2. Remove old alternator
3. Remove the harness that leads from the regulator to the alternator (mine had a separate red wire (D+)that plugged into the harness itself, so I just unhooked this wire from the harness. This plugs directly into the new alternator D+ spade.
4. Install new alternator. I needed to remove the pulley from the old alternator and install it on the new alternator. Make sure you keep the spacers and washers in the same order.
5. Plug the old red wire into the D+ spade
6. Attach the white positive wires(2) to the B+ post
7. Attach a ground wire to a screw on the new alternator
8. Reconnect the battery
My alternator charge light glowed for a minute and then went out.
posted by 75.40.186...
Posts in this Thread:
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!