Re: Stage 1 for Viggen (eEuro?!) - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
I would not go with a tune without making hardware modifications first.
Here's my opinion on this based on what I did to my Viggen:
- The stock intercooler is too small; I'd upgrade that first. I noticed that the power delivery was much more consistent and the stock ECU was able to hit the full output of the motor under almost all conditions. I'm actually going to just come right out and say that the stock intercooler is a major design flaw.
- The factory exhaust is just a little restrictive for stock output levels and for sure very restrictive at higher levels. I'd get an aftermarket 3" turbo-back setup next. After the intercooler upgrade, I did this modification next and noticed that the boost seemed to build faster and I suppose the maximum output was slightly increased. Still stock ECU.
- I also added an all-metal boost control valve.
- Was already running the cooler plugs, based on driving style. Gap is critical!
- Finally, I added a tune to go along with the above mods. It's been working well for many years and the car is likely at the 300HP/300TQ point or higher. I think any reputable tune that is taking into account the above mods will be fine. Given the 3,000lb curb weight and very efficient power delivery from the engine to the wheels, this thing is a rocket on the freeway. 0-60 is a handful.
- Started with 215 tires, but they can't handle the power. Went with 225 but they rubbed a little bit during high speed cornering. Went back to 215 and some time later did poly bushings everywhere, wasn't happy with the tires again. Now going back to 225 with the poly bushings, hoping for less rubbing. Will know in a few days when I get the tires mounted.
posted by 206.174.116...
Posts in this Thread:
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!