Taking your foot off the excellerator does not disengage 4WD. 4WD means that one front wheel and one back wheel are powered by the engine and these wheels turn at the same rate whether you are accelerating or deccelerating. This is different from AWD where wheels are powered depending on slipage. 4WD results in tremendously improved engine braking (standard trans) and brake braking. SAABs are better in the snow than rear-wheel drive vehicles, but cannot be compared to 4WD and AWD cars in my opinion. Pick-up trucks are different story as they suck in the snow, 4WD or not.
posted by 216.194.24...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- 4X4 (no ABS) or 900SE better in snow? Need advice!, Ian, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:01:28
- no good advice here, Amiga, Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:56:18
- we have a forrester and a 900 setc and its a tough, saabgirlie , Sun, 9 Feb 2003 01:56:18
- Saab excellent winter car, Bill in MI, Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:49:34
- Re: 4X4 (no ABS) or 900SE better in snow? Need advice!, JohnJD, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:58:43
- <-- Used to live in upstate Vermont, modi, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:18:42
- Re: 4X4 (no ABS) or 900SE better in snow? Need advice!, Dean, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:43:51
- My SAAB totally sucks in the snow, JohnJerk, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:31:34
- Winter driving., Dave Westlake, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:05:30
- each has their own purpose, bluenose, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:36:20
- 4X4 vs. SAAB (pay-per-view bout), Rick, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 07:00:42
- PS, Rick, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 07:03:20
- SUV's in the snow..., KQuigley, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 02:40:11
- Oh Puleeze!, Bruce, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 23:29:36
- I vote for SAAB (+), Vlad, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:04:02
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!