Click Banner for Details on this Saabnet.com Classified
And I can tell you right now, a 4x4 SUV like a Jeep Cherokee is a bad bad bad idea. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen SUVs upside down on the side of roads in VT. Especially the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's not pretty.
SUVs are terrible in the snow. They're meant for rugged off-road at slow speeds, where clearance is needed to get over ground features like rocks and logs. At roadway or highway speeds, the functionality afforded by ground clearance and 4wd gives way to unsafe centers of gravity and momentous inertia.
They're bad ideas.
In snowy areas like Vermont or other parts of New England, unless you'll be driving where there is no plowing whatsoever (ie, you'll be driving up a driveway that wasn't plowed all week and you need the clearance to make it over the snowpack)... you're best off in a car with 4 snow tires. Nokian Hakkapalitas are the best. They're like claws for cars. And if you want studless, I can recommend the Bridgestone Blizzaks.
The years that I lived in vermont, the only vehicles (car or suv) that were able to get around reliably were Subarus, Volvos (even the old 240) and Saabs (and even the old 900)... With the right tires, Subies, Volvos and Saabs become veritable billy goats and will climb anything.
Be safe, drive the Saab with snow tires, and drive smart. Also, get a native to take you out to a parking lot and teach you how to drive in snow.
posted by 156.40.114...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- 4X4 (no ABS) or 900SE better in snow? Need advice!, Ian, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:01:28
- no good advice here, Amiga, Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:56:18
- we have a forrester and a 900 setc and its a tough, saabgirlie , Sun, 9 Feb 2003 01:56:18
- Saab excellent winter car, Bill in MI, Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:49:34
- Re: 4X4 (no ABS) or 900SE better in snow? Need advice!, JohnJD, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:58:43
- <-- Used to live in upstate Vermont, modi, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:18:42
- Re: 4X4 (no ABS) or 900SE better in snow? Need advice!, Dean, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:43:51
- My SAAB totally sucks in the snow, JohnJerk, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:31:34
- Winter driving., Dave Westlake, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:05:30
- each has their own purpose, bluenose, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:36:20
- 4X4 vs. SAAB (pay-per-view bout), Rick, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 07:00:42
- PS, Rick, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 07:03:20
- SUV's in the snow..., KQuigley, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 02:40:11
- Oh Puleeze!, Bruce, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 23:29:36
- I vote for SAAB (+), Vlad, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:04:02
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!