My design used balloons, the long, skinny kind clowns use to make balloon animal sculptures.
This is hard to describe without drawing a picture, but I folded them together in a way that I had a roughly football-shaped structure, pointed on one end, and with the many ends of the balloons going in every direction at the other end. The many ends act like feathers on an arrow, providing drag so that the thing will fall point first.
I put the egg inside an uninflated round balloon so it wouldn't make a mess if it broke, then stretched the balloons on the side of the football enough to slip the egg inside the football. Putting it as far as possible from the point of impact allows it to slip down inside its cage upon impact.
Because of the very low weight and high drag, the thing reached terminal velocity in about 2 feet, so it wouldn't matter if it was dropped from 8 feet or 800 feet. However, as Mike, suggested, this is a parachute-like device and it won't fall straight down in a wind.
My devices were probably a bit longer than 60 cm, I think you could make a workable one in that size.
This was the best design I could think of, and I tried several. It will be interesting to hear what you come up with, so please let us know.
posted by 24.206.7...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- WWWOT: Egg Drop, Will Lee, Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:50:52
- Re: WWWOT: Egg Drop, Spiros T, Sun, 19 Feb 2006 06:48:03
- When I did it they used a timer which made velocity, Drew in Houston, Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:22:19
- Re: WWWOT: Egg Drop, brian, Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:56:24
- Maple seed, CL9000, Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:22:00
- is it an egg "case" or an egg "catcher" ?, Urby, Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:39:24
- My design used balloons, Dave in Houston, Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:05:14
- My kids had this in school..., Noel , Fri, 17 Feb 2006 06:03:25
- Re: WWWOT: Egg Drop, 79-900t , Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:01:35
- Just in case, get a good "egg drop soup" recipe n/m, Geoff, Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:48:31
- Re: WWWOT: Egg Drop, Bill Homer, Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:46:43
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!