If NASA had not existed, would all the scientists, engineers and other brilliant minds have committed mass suicide? Of course not. They would have worked in the private sector where real innovations take place much more frequently, even if less recognized because nobody has the political incentive to propagandize (e.g. the numerous NASA claimed discoveries/inventions that had been invented/discovered in the private sector). That's what one has to keep in mind when talking about NASA achievements.
In this thread, most NASA supporters actually did take the "what's alternative" approach to analysis. We of course agree that the NASA program is somewhat better than wasting the same resources on outright organized mass murder in far-away lands. Yet, is that really the only alternative that we can think of? The default human activity is mass murder?
Also, the national pride thing, and government-run quasi-military enterprises like the NASA and government-sponsored nuclear power plants (where uranium and plutonium breeder plants are favored over thorium plants, from the latter of which weapons grade "byproducts" would be much harder to extract) are essentially preparatory and support networks for mass murder overseas.
posted by 24.91.39...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- OT: Space shuttle, Eric Law, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 05:53:10
- Please..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:46:52
- Re: OT: Space shuttle, brick8 , Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:09:07
- I'll cheer..., nwas, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:34:19
- It's been quite a while, AdamB , Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:33:51
- I guess we should all still be living in caves......, MI-Roger , Sat, 9 Jul 2011 13:06:57
- That would be the result, Reality, Sat, 9 Jul 2011 13:56:06
- Re: That would be the result, Eric Law, Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:10:50
- Re: That would be the result, Reality, Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:37:54
- Re: That would be the result, James, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 06:51:50
- Perhaps..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:43:19
- Re: Perhaps..., TML, Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:40:16
- Yeah, Eric Law, Wed, 13 Jul 2011 04:12:02
- Re: Perhaps..., Reality, Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:43:36
- Re: Perhaps..., Reality, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:06:32
- Uh..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:39:02
- Re: Uh..., Reality, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:08:54
- Re: Uh..., kkelley, Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:12:11
- Agree!, Reality, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 16:36:58
- Re: I'll cheer..., TML, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:20:12
- I think I can handle 0.5% of the federal budget, rob 96 aero, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 11:27:00
- Re: I'll cheer..., NCCaniac , Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:26:41
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!