Queen Isabella was acting as a private investor when she sponsored Columbus. If she had not invested, Columbus' brothers and colleagues were headed to other potential investors in places such as the English court. The royal houses back then were playing with their own money
The Arpanet to Internet story is getting really old. The statist telling of it ignores two very important facts:
(1) It's the massive private investment that made internet accessible to 99+% of the population who do not have offices in the few dozen military and research institutions served by the Arpanet.
(2) If the funds had not been taken away by taxation and talents had not been hired away by government, there's no saying the private sector would not have done it. When telephone and telegraph technology came along a few decades earlier, in the absence of government funding or coordination, several very extensive T&T networks developed worldwide
Furthermore, if you are familiar with the DARPA, you'd know hat DARPA does not do research or development on its own. It's an organization of only of a little over 100 people! and have their fingers in all kinds of fields of research. DARPA's primary task is spotting and coordinating promising technology researches that might have military ramifictions. In other words, they work with mostly private sector innovative companies. For example, the ARPANET was a field experiment on the packet-switching idea invented at RAND Corporation designed to let computer networks survive nuclear attacks via distributed computing with packet-switching multi-path information transceiving. DARPA was founded precisely because it already became obvious in the 1950's that government's own military-specific weapons R&D facilities suffered from institutional narrow vision.
posted by 24.91.39...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- OT: Space shuttle, Eric Law, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 05:53:10
- Please..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:46:52
- Re: OT: Space shuttle, brick8 , Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:09:07
- I'll cheer..., nwas, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:34:19
- It's been quite a while, AdamB , Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:33:51
- I guess we should all still be living in caves......, MI-Roger , Sat, 9 Jul 2011 13:06:57
- That would be the result, Reality, Sat, 9 Jul 2011 13:56:06
- Re: That would be the result, Eric Law, Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:10:50
- Re: That would be the result, Reality, Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:37:54
- Re: That would be the result, James, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 06:51:50
- Perhaps..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:43:19
- Re: Perhaps..., TML, Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:40:16
- Yeah, Eric Law, Wed, 13 Jul 2011 04:12:02
- Re: Perhaps..., Reality, Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:43:36
- Re: Perhaps..., Reality, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:06:32
- Uh..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:39:02
- Re: Uh..., Reality, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:08:54
- Re: Uh..., kkelley, Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:12:11
- Agree!, Reality, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 16:36:58
- Re: I'll cheer..., TML, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:20:12
- I think I can handle 0.5% of the federal budget, rob 96 aero, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 11:27:00
- Re: I'll cheer..., NCCaniac , Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:26:41
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!