No kidding! That's the point of my original post. If you dig deeper, you'd notice that for a complex issue such as this one with multiple input factors in real life that are not possible to test for A/B control test, there is no way of distinguishing what is correlation and what is causal effect. There can only be hypothesis of causal effect trying to justify correlation. Therefore, I hypothecated that the causal effect was from the driver not having to speed or be axiously rush to appointment when they can make a phone call and let people know they are running slightly late.
"Scientific study" requires A/B control test to verify hypothesis. Anyone claiming to be doing "scientific study" yet operating in a field where A/B control test controlling all other variable is impossible, is nothing but a fraud. "Peer Review" has been practiced since the days of debating how many angels could dance on the tip of the pin, if not thousands of years earlier, when the term "canonic text" was invented. "Peer Review" is just a fancy term for intellectual inbreeding where no objective scientific test is possible (OTOH, where real objective A/B test is possible, Peer Review re-running those tests is indeed a very powerful scientific tool; in fact, part of the definition of Scientific Method).
posted by 24.91.39...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Cellphones and driving, Noel , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:28:12
- Re: Cellphones and driving, Craig, Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:40:55
- Here's a Study with N > 100,000,000, Reality, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:50:54
- doesn't matter anyway, ryan, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:42:45
- Re: Cellphones and driving, JohnA , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:36:40
- Re: Cellphones and driving, JerseySaab , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:48:41
- I suspect the research is less than accurate., Noel , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:16:47
- Re: I suspect the research is less than accurate., Judge Edo, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 17:56:22
- Re: I suspect the research is less than accurate., Simon S, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:46:13
- The truth - do your own test, nwas, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:15:28
- Re: I suspect the research is less than accurate., JerseySaab , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:36:11
- Re: Cellphones and driving, JohnA , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:56:05
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!