He's only had two crashes since he started doing this; last time he woke up at the hospital in a coma after rear-ending a pickup truck and landing in its bed; he's lucky that he weighs about 275 and has a lot of padding. But he's back at it, riding his BMW 1200 again now that the weather has gotten warm. Saving money is not his main goal in this pursuit.
If that isn't enough to convince you, let's examine the economics. Using the prices that "Norm95" provided, let's figure $2500 for the bike and $1000 for gear (yes, you really, really want good protective gear). You probably want new tires (you only have two points of contact with the street) on that used $2500 bike, so add that $200 (guess). I assume that the driving course isn't free, unless it's sponsored by the CT motorcycle dealers' association, so add another $200(?). You have to insure the bike for liability at a minimum, say $100. Startup costs are therefore around $4000. If there are NO rainy days and you do in fact save $250 per month, it will take you 16 months to break even, not including additional insurance costs along the way.
Note that I just got done giving my daughter her first driving lesson - beware that you will encounter 16 year old drivers as well as 86+ year old drivers on our streets doing unpredictable things.
posted by 108.71.134...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Any motorcycle riders? Gas prices want to get one., Brian, Sat, 24 Mar 2012 05:09:23
- definitely clears the mind, McTeague, Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:17:32
- Same here..., PGAero , Mon, 26 Mar 2012 22:32:19
- image, McTeague, Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:21:16
- Bikes are lots of fun, but not all that cheap, Noel , Mon, 26 Mar 2012 06:29:50
- Re: Any motorcycle riders? Gas prices want to get one., jeff in MD , Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:19:47
- Another rider here ..., JMF , Sun, 25 Mar 2012 05:51:12
- VW TDI., Shaun , Sun, 25 Mar 2012 03:58:59
- wow! $4 a gallon! It is almost $7 a gallon here, sab, Sun, 25 Mar 2012 00:44:37
- Re: fuel price different is almost entirely tax-based, David B, Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:59:23
- yes, even at $4.50/gal 91RON in cali it's not bad..., baggsly , Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:59:35
- Re: wow! $4 a gallon! It is almost $7 a gallon here, Simon S, Sun, 25 Mar 2012 02:54:20
- Yes, 65 miles a day, five days a week, plus fun rides, AeroBaron, Sat, 24 Mar 2012 21:46:05
- I ride too... but not to save money., PGAero , Sat, 24 Mar 2012 20:57:02
- I ride too, kaslop, Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:34:42
- I ride, pokeyjoe , Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:04:29
- Yes, bikes are less safe than car and have expenses, AeroEd , Sat, 24 Mar 2012 17:33:27
- Fatal local motorcycle accident this afternoon, MI-Roger , Sat, 24 Mar 2012 17:06:06
- I work with a guy with the same idea & economics, Bill Homer, Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:30:08
- Great idea. I'll be glad to be your surgeon., Used to be Chaz, Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:46:39
- 68-72 mpg 600 miles/week on a Suzuki SV650., Norm95, Sat, 24 Mar 2012 06:06:40
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!