Paying by debit sounds like it means a direct bank transfer. That's much less secure than either PayPal or direct credit card payment because there's no protection at all. Did the original auction listing show PayPal as an accepted form of payment? If so, he has to accept it, and without any conditions/stipulations. The fees are his responsibility, not the buyer's.
I suggest you contact eBay and explain the situation. They don't take this kind of thing lightly and may threaten to suspend his account if he doesn't cooperate. They also caution against any sort of dealings outside of their website(s) regardless of whether it's the buyer or seller who initiates it.
My guess is that this guy is not very internet-savvy and didn't realize that PayPal and eBay can both take a cut of the profits. Don't let him bully you into paying more than you should, or doing something you're not comfortable with.
posted by 65.202....
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- eBay seller requesting "pay by debit" not paypal, bender , Tue, 8 May 2012 10:52:26
- Another source?, Craig, Thu, 10 May 2012 12:54:32
- They can't even spell Australia correctly!, sab, Wed, 9 May 2012 23:09:02
- Well, thanks for all the replies. Really. He's refunded, bender , Wed, 9 May 2012 16:30:18
- I also vote SCAM, Erik919kt , Wed, 9 May 2012 11:13:14
- Get the PayPal refund, then walk away. It's a SCAM, Used to be Chaz, Wed, 9 May 2012 02:10:35
- Ask him how the weather is in Lagos this week...., andym, Tue, 8 May 2012 17:52:11
- Re: eBay seller requesting "pay by debit" not paypal, turbocon86, Tue, 8 May 2012 12:28:53
- He said he'd refund me on paypal if I wish to pay, bender , Tue, 8 May 2012 11:20:19
- screw him and report to ebay authorities, Siegfried, Tue, 8 May 2012 11:12:51
- Re: eBay seller requesting "pay by debit" not paypal, BlaaSaab, Tue, 8 May 2012 11:07:45
- What about this doesn't say "scam"?, Bill Homer, Tue, 8 May 2012 11:05:23
- addition to post, bender , Tue, 8 May 2012 11:03:46
- Re: eBay seller requesting "pay by debit" not paypal, TML, Tue, 8 May 2012 11:00:46
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!