NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
see below for a link to one of the technical overview pages from their website. I hadn't looked there in quite some time (and I only just skimmed it now)...
but an excerpt from it, indicates that they must include some friction element in there and that usage is dependent on driver input:
"A key function of "in-wheel" motors is to conserve energy through regeneration during braking. The brake controller resolves friction and regeneration braking based on driver demand and system capabilities, e.g. battery charge limits and status."
It is a fairly interesting motor design.
Anyway, another interesting number for this discussion comes off the Saab Parts AB page someone just posted a link to:
"On a dry road a Saab is designed to slow down from 100km / h to a standstill in less than 40 meters - and in under three seconds."
so that's about twice as fast as a pretty good 0-60 time for a sport sedan and still significantly faster than the 4.5s 0-60 time they claimed for that Mini. But of course, most of the time, we are not slamming on the brakes from 60mph! Maybe regenerative braking is talked up, but I don't think it is irrelevant either.
->Posting last edited on Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:34:15.
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- On board the UK's first fast-charge electric bus, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:31:04
- Tesla Model S: 'If Apple Made A Car, This Would Be It', JohnA , Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:17:05
- Won't work. Steering wheel is on wrong side, Used to be Chaz, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:43:03
- Foreign Policy Mag photoessay on electrics, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:39:11
- Neil Young - e-car tinkerer, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:28:20
- Show me the batteries, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:02:30
- I got yer batteries, No Snaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:02:34
- don't be a Luddite!, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:10:11
- I like electric motors, batteries are the problem, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:44:25
- don't be so gullible, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:18:47
- Don't be so narrowminded, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:45:08
- Re: don't be so gullible, Steve T., Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:43:49
- EV vs hybrid, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:41:59
- The one thing I don't get:, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:02:58
- Re: The one thing I don't get:, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:14:58
- Regenerative braking is grossly over-rated, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:03:09
- Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:40:28
- Re: Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:17
- More like 20-30% efficient, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:08
- at WOT only!, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:57:27
- and within a certain (and limited) RPM range, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:07:49
- conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:48:29
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:38:28
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:12:09
- Strawman tactic, Reality, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 03:46:58
- Think this out please...., Mark from Toronto, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:54:56
- Re: Strawman tactic, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 07:00:41
- Strawman tactic vs Triple Strawman tactic, Snowmobile , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:27:37
- Say what??, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 05:13:20
- apples and oranges, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:35:26
- Very good points..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:13:10
- Fuel consumption during idling, Kristjan, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:00:43
- corrected..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:44:11
- bah, I made the error, not you!, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:21:49
- Correct but biased..., ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:43:40
- Yes, hybrids can be practical, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:49:41
- eAAM, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:03:07
- Re: eAAM, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:16:30
- Turbo!, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:06:04
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.