Re: w30 vs w40 fair? well that is not really proof is it ? - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
My take away from the article is that the type of oil doesn't make much difference in wear, and a premium synthetic's biggest benefit is allowing a longer change interval. I've got 330k on my '87 9kT on convention, and sure the valve seals and turbo seals are worn, but what more could you ask for. In today's engines, with hotter running temps and sludging issues, I'd definitely run a synthetic (and error on the side of a little thicker oil personally).
Several manufacturers have had issues with high oil consumption, BMW as well as VW and even Chevy V8s come to mind, and the level of acceptable consumption before warranty repair is ridiculous. It doesn't seem to affect the longevity of the engine, but paying big dollars for a new car that sucks oil would tick me off. And BWM doesn't even have the decency to include a dipstick on their cars anymore!
posted by 66.91.28...
Posts in this Thread:
- Blackstone Oil July News - Engine Wear Testing, cheaptech , Wed, 9 Aug 2017 12:20:43
- Re: Blackstone Oil July News - Engine Wear Testing, Dean, Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:22:59
- Re: Blackstone Oil July News - Engine Wear Testing, Justin, Wed, 16 Aug 2017 05:44:54
- Re: Blackstone Oil July News - Engine Wear Testing, neil dale , Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:02:41
- Re: Blackstone Oil July News - Engine Wear Testing, cheaptech , Sat, 12 Aug 2017 14:59:30
- Re: Blackstone Oil July News - Engine Wear Testing, Bill Homer, Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:35:59
- w30 vs w40 fair?, Norm9-5, Thu, 10 Aug 2017 04:46:52
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Poverty2Prosperity.org | RandomScreening.com
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!