Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck? - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Most Recently Edited Saabnet.com Photo Galleries]
Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?
Posted by 02 Viggen (more from 02 Viggen) on Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:35:04
In Reply to: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, RodM, Tue, 12 Mar 2019 09:23:57
I've rented trucks for 5 moves and have had a good experience each time. The last was U-Haul, with a truck that was probably only 3-4 years old. Penske (was Hertz Penske for our first move in 1985) and Ryder were our others. We've used car trailers for 3 of those moves, and I would recommend the kind where the whole car is on the trailer, not just the front wheels, if needing to tow a car.
The 26' truck will fit a 2-3 bedroom house comfortably, unless you also have a lot of extra stuff like tools, yard equipment, etc. It will seem massive, and you will think you will never run out of room. Once, we ended up not going quite to the ceiling in the front of the 26' truck, leaving about 2 feet of space, but by the time we got to the back of the truck, that space was inaccessible and we'd run out of room. We had a neighborhood give-away of a few items then, and the car on the trailer ('87 900S 3-door) was packed to its roof, as well as much of the cab. Only room for me, the driver, at that point.
Planning how you're going to pack stuff up is helpful. Get boxes and start filling them up 3 weeks before you plan to get the truck. Think about how you will transport clothing. When we filled up the 900S, we realized that when the truck was full, we still had clothes hanging in all the closets. They went in the 900S. But if you're able to see all your boxes lined up in advance, it's easier to think about how it's all going into the truck.
Last bit of advice: avoid rush hour, and those trucks are wide and need to turn wide. Good luck.
posted by 98.127.25...
Posts in this Thread:
- Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, RodM, Tue, 12 Mar 2019 09:23:57
- Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, cheaptech , Thu, 14 Mar 2019 12:01:37
- Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, Tom G , Thu, 14 Mar 2019 03:05:58
- Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, Craig, Wed, 13 Mar 2019 09:41:20
- Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 13 Mar 2019 08:23:53
- Have a 26" Penske truck reserved for April 18th..., RodM, Wed, 13 Mar 2019 05:15:43
- Load the Bulky Items First, K W, Tue, 12 Mar 2019 21:34:27
- Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, Cary, Tue, 12 Mar 2019 16:45:12
- Moved our youngest this way - Raleigh to Boston, MI-Roger , Tue, 12 Mar 2019 16:44:31
- Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, 02 Viggen, Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:35:04 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, JTRI , Tue, 12 Mar 2019 14:31:54
- Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, JoeHiOh Saab , Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:21:35
- Re: Experience moving with a U-Haul truck?, Tulsaab , Tue, 12 Mar 2019 10:08:51
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!