0w40 is not light/thin oil !!!! - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
0w40 is not light/thin oil !!!! 1 Members Like This Post!
Posted by dmz789qqq [Email] (more from dmz789qqq) on Sun, 17 Mar 2019 08:55:53
In Reply to: Re: Oil change, don m [Profile/Gallery]
, Fri, 15 Mar 2019 08:05:45
At normal operating temperature it is a quite thick w40 grade oil - no fuel economy there. For fuel economy you would want 0w20 or 0w16.
The "0" part refers to viscosity at cold temperatures - and the lower this number is always better. Understand that 0(cold) viscosity oil at cold temperature is still thicker then warned up 40(hot) grade oil.
When Saab had all the issues with with sludge they specified Mobil1 0w40 not because it was this particular viscosity grade but because it was true PAO-based syntetic oil and would not decompose as easily as other Mobil 1 grades.
posted by 74.104.168...
Posts in this Thread:
- Oil change, Gus, Thu, 14 Mar 2019 11:39:48
- Re: Oil change NO don't change oil W/ due to age of the motor, neil dale , Fri, 22 Mar 2019 13:30:38
- Re: 0w40 is on the thin side., Brian, Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:15:00
- "ORIO Oil Guide", a little long, Paul from Palmyra, PA, Sat, 16 Mar 2019 13:02:18
- Re: "ORIO Oil Guide", MI-Roger , Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:40:18
- Mobil 1 0w40 is still sold at Walmart ($25/5qt), dmz789qqq, Sun, 17 Mar 2019 09:01:46
- Now I see!, Paul from Palmyra, PA, Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:01:14
- Re: Oil change, bobc , Fri, 15 Mar 2019 05:56:13
- Re: Oil change, Tom G , Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:09:22
- Re: Oil change, Gene N , Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:51:54
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!