Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah! not very much ! - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I use the superlative Shell Rotella T-6 full Synthetic in my cars and it is frequently less than 20 $ a gallon at wall mart so my opinion is : Don't be cheap! get good synthetic oil and change it at least every 5 K mile.......................The video was a letdown. He, ( as someone else said, ) Is advocating an old philosophy of use cheap ANY oil and change it often! = bad advice IMHO and NOT what the Saab engineers ( and others- like consumers reports ) recommend as well, ( See my post above right under our illustrious leader Scott's ! ) Also, I believe he sees a skewed, non-representative sample set of users who send oil in for analysis! Many of whom do not drive very fast or hard, & do not race. but are sufficiently nerdy, curious enough to get an oil analysis.................................................................BTW I thought I had read an article by Blackstone that said basically," Use any brand SYNTHETIC oil that there was no appreciable difference in wear as ALL oils have to meet SAE standards and DO................................................................ We have noted that some chaps in this forum, IMHO ( you know who you are ) are seemingly so cheap they squeak! ( when it comes to maintenance and repair) Gosh, some even keep driving w/ known faults/flaws and don't fix them using all kinds of dubious , questionable, sometimes quite hilarious justifications! - But hey! it's their car ( Until they sell it when sadly it becomes my, your, our problem !) We end up w/ some turkey of a car w/ thousands of $ in needed repairs due to their creative "deferred maintenance" schedule! thanks a LOT............. (.NOT really ! ) !.............................................Yes, you sure DID NOT "pay it forward" LOL ) But, what do I know? I actually do maintenance, preventative, like I just ordered an OEM water pump for the Viggen as it is 17 years old + 60 K + miles and has never been changed.
->Posting last edited on Fri, 5 Apr 2019 19:49:42.
Posts in this Thread:
- SAAB Talk Live: Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional - A lab owner sets us straight, Scott Paterson , Wed, 27 Mar 2019 08:34:411
- Re: SAAB Talk Live: Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional - A lab owner sets us straight, neil dale , Sun, 31 Mar 2019 21:44:211
- Re: Testing vs oil changes, Tom G , Fri, 29 Mar 2019 04:52:51
- OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, MI-Roger , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 03:13:43
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, TG, Fri, 5 Apr 2019 11:14:37
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, Montana Tom , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 19:41:47
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, kenS , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 17:08:201
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, bobc , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:44:36
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, Eiron, Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:28:13
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, PGAero , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:26:50
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, JimBlake , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 09:23:27
- Marketing..., Justin VanAbrahams , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 08:19:15
- Synthetic vs. Conventional - A guy at a party perspective, Sondeen , Wed, 27 Mar 2019 19:41:532
- Like gasoline, additives vary nominally, Bloodnose , Wed, 27 Mar 2019 18:41:10
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!