BUT! here is some great news ! glad i'm not far fr California ! - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
No Speed Limits? California Considering “Unlimited” Lanes on Two Highways
If passed, the lanes would be added to I-5 and California Route 99.
By: Erik Johnson February 19, 2019 AUTOMOBILE
California state senator John Moorlach (R-Orange County) has introduced a bill to that state’s legislature that would add lanes to both north- and southbound Interstate 5 and State Route 99 that would have no posted speed limit.
SB319 does not itself state the specific stretches of road where the lanes would be added, but local reports indicate the lanes would run from Stockton to Bakersfield, a distance of approximately 240 miles via I-5 or 230 miles via CA-99.
The lanes would not have any speed limits, and the bill would suspend in those lanes the current California statute governing speeds above 100 mph, where a first violation for exceeding that speed results in a fine of $500, a second within three years a fine of $750, and a third within five years a fine of $1000 and the suspension of that driver’s license.
Rural highways in Texas have speed limits that can be as high as 80 mph, as well as one 41-mile section posted at 85 mph.
According to the bill, money for construction of two new lanes on each side of I-5 and CA-99 would be drawn from California’s Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund. Moorlach doesn’t give an estimated cost for the project, but says the state already owns the right of way necessary for the lanes. The bill is being pitched as a way to cut idling in traffic and therefore reduce greenhouse gases, as well as a quicker and more easily implemented solution to easing gridlock than a long-distance high-speed rail line such as one that was recently canceled.
Moorlach also defends his proposal as safer. “If you look at what’s happening in Germany, the freeway accidents on the autobahn are a lot less than what’s happening on our roads.” Neither the bill nor Moorlach have so far addressed driver training that may be necessary for drivers unaccustomed to traveling at such speeds; Germany’s more rigorous driver-education system makes acquiring a license more difficult and costly than is typical in the United States. Additionally, there is no detail as to whether there would be a minimum speed limit for the lanes. According to Moorlach, the lanes would be kept separate from other lanes, where the speed limit would remain 65 mph.
The highest posted speed limit in the United States is currently 85 mph, on a 41-mile section of State Highway 130 in Texas. Montana had no daytime speed limit until 1974, when the federal 55-mph limit was passed, and again from that law’s repeal in December 1995 until the enactment of a 75-mph limit in May 1999.
Posts in this Thread:
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, neil dale , Sun, 14 Apr 2019 04:06:431
- Best description of Volvo, Notnoel , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 06:50:522
- My experience..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 08:40:451
- Re: My experience..., SWEDECAR , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:38:441
- s40, Snowmobile , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 11:36:311
- Re: s40, Scott Paterson , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:10:16
- Re: My experience..., EGD , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 11:29:071
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, Snowmobile , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 19:07:53
- Re: Volvo consider a Alfa Romeo instead it is superlative !, neil dale , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:28:16
- wowo ! Canada is a bad place to go fast ! EH ?, neil dale , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:03:59
- it's not the fines, it's the pot holes!, Snowmobile , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 04:24:46
- Re: it's not the fines, it's the pot holes!, EGD , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 11:44:29
- Re: it's not the fines, it's the pot holes!, RS , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 04:55:29
- better image..., Snowmobile , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 04:27:312
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, QuietTide , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 15:49:43
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, steve, Mon, 15 Apr 2019 06:01:25
- Since when do we talk politics on this site?, No Snaab, Mon, 15 Apr 2019 04:57:50
- Re: No Saab, thank you, Tom G , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 09:04:02
- Further agreement..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 05:50:12
- Agreed, I've deleted some posts, Scott Paterson , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 14:18:15
- BUT! here is some great news ! glad i'm not far fr California !, neil dale , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 01:03:34 <-- Viewing This Message1
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, EGD , Sun, 14 Apr 2019 09:23:12
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, neil dale , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 14:39:48
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, Justin VanAbrahams , Sun, 14 Apr 2019 20:03:48
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, neil dale , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 00:56:53
- This is not a real issue..., Scott Paterson , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 14:15:55
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, Justin VanAbrahams , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 08:34:30
- Indeed!, AeroDave , Mon, 22 Apr 2019 10:02:54
- Re: Bravo, well said. n/m, Tom G , Tue, 16 Apr 2019 09:07:42
- Volvo is on my hate list now!, neil dale , Mon, 15 Apr 2019 11:50:31
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!