Re: my '00 9-3 base v. my '01 325i(no flames) - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Most Recently Edited Saabnet.com Photo Galleries]
Re: my '00 9-3 base v. my '01 325i(no flames)
Posted by Seamus (more from Seamus) on Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:10:18
In Reply to: my '00 9-3 base v. my '01 325i(no flames), chris g, Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:29:53
Chris, thanks for coming back and posting your thoughts. Sure this is a SAAB site, and everyone wants to read about SAAB, but we're all here for some entertainment as well (aren't we?), and a littel "cross-town" rivalry never hurt anyone.
For now, the BMW has an advantage over the 9-3 in some ways. The BMW is off and running on a fresh platform, while the current 9-3 is at the end of its life cycle. Like everyone here, I hope the NG 9-3 will be an improvement. In some ways (structural rigidity), I'm sure it will be. I hope it doesn't lose the unique SAAB character though. We'll see.
I haven't driven a new 3-Series yet, only rode in one, so I can't make any realistic comment on their handling and acceleration. With the exception of the driver footwell, which is tight in the 9-3, they are both roomy for their size. But other than the footwell, I prefer the SAAB. I did appreciate the BMW build quality. The fit and finnish, rattle-free structure, the tactile feel of all the switches, etc, all appeared top notch. SAAB is pretty good, but they have some work to do here.
What's the HP of your 325? Does it actually use a different engine than the 323 model? I had thought that BMW's switch to the "325" designation was just a nomenclature change and that the engines were actually the same (the 323 still used a 2.5 liter), except perhaps the addition of the DBW throttle and some other refinements).I believe the 323 was (still is) 170HP. Unless the 325i makes significantly more than that, I'd be surprised if the 325i could outrun the SAAB 0 - 60, even the "base" 9-3. Certainly not a 9-3 SE. Would have to see actual tests. The September Car & Driver tests the new 3-Series Wagon (designated as 323i), which has 2.5 liter engine, 170 HP, 181 lb-ft torque @3500 RPM. Its 0-60 time was 7.4 seconds (5-speed). Granted, the wagon would be slightly slower than a sedan or coupe. Their only reeal knock on the 2.5 liter is the lack of low end torque.
Maybe my perception of BMW might change if I were to drive a 325Ci, (definitely if I drove an M3), but, if spending my own money, I'd still probably prefer the SAAB. For me, they just have a certain look and driving "feel" that I like. And they are, for me, the perfect "Jack of All Trades" car. A unique driving "feel" and styling (even though the basic 9-3 body is 8 years old, it is, to me, still more visually interesting than the somewhat generic-looking new BMW 3-Series), sporty (but not sports car) handling and acceleration, and the unbeatable utility of the hatch. And yes, I like the value for the money, and the fact that you don't see that many of them around.
You made the choice you felt was right for you. Best of luck with your new car, Chris.
Posts in this Thread:
- my '00 9-3 base v. my '01 325i(no flames), chris g, Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:29:53
- chris g, I hope this doesn't stop you from posting..., Richard P., Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:10:39
- my 93 SE vs my co-workers 325, Dave, Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:38:06
- Re: my 93 SE vs my co-workers 325, david hanley, Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:32:51
- You're right the Saab is faster...., AdamB , Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:21:37
- Re: You're right the Saab is faster...., David Hanley, Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:06:33
- 325i / 184HP - i guess if the 9-3 is 1/10th a second ..., chris g., Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:29:39
- Re: 325i / 184HP - i guess if the 9-3 is 1/10th a second ..., Dan Wyman, Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:43:49
- Now hold on there, Chris....., Seamus, Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:23:39
- If you read my post, instead of getting defensive, AdamB , Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:21:20
- Maybe...maybe not...., Seamus, Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:18:26
- Re: my '00 9-3 base v. my '01 325i(no flames), bill, Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:13:32
- yeah but,, Brian, Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:19:27
- Re: my '00 9-3 base v. my '01 325i(no flames), Seamus, Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:10:18 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: my '00 9-3 base v. my '01 325i(no flames), Dan Wyman, Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:01:31
- Forgot one thing...., Pieter M. Kuipers, Sat, 11 Nov 2000 05:05:29
- good info! did you get the Sport package? n/m, MJM , Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:02:49
- This is still a SAAB site, right?, Wylde1, Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:07:43
- SAAB owners can recognize all good cars..., Richard P., Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:27:19
- other posters asked me to do a write -up when(more), chris g., Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:49:36
- Re: other posters asked me to do a write -up when(more), Jeff La Fleur, Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:28:32
- I agree completely n/m, MJM , Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:01:07
- Re: other posters asked me to do a write -up when(more), ricardo s., Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:17:49
- Re: other posters asked me to do a write -up when(more), Wylde1, Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:12:51
- Good post...you made your choice..., Richard P., Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:56:25
- "No shame losing to 3-series" maybe, but a 325? I'd need a 330!nm, LDH, Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:14:34
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!