I purchased the first Saab ('87 900S) in the fall of '08. This was to be a father/son project. The car was a relatively rust free car from Colorado. Because of the cost of parts, I quickly realized that I needed to purchase a parts car. This led to the purchase of a non-driver '91 900S. While in the middle of all of this I couldn't pass up on a '70 99e that a friend and I are slowly converting to a Rally X car.
To date, the 99 has been gutted and the Triumph has been pulled out of the car. The plan is to swap the '91 2.0 16V. The suspension will follow. This is all after the rust repairs to the both front passenger frame rails. Well, I had to scrap the rusty beast.
The '87 900S is progressing nicely. I have been swapping many parts. So far the head lights, hood, leather interior, dash pad and facia, swapped tach mechanicals, acc. gauges, SPG rear vents, tires, front speakers, door seals, rear vent window, some switches and the tool box. The windshield and transmission are on the list along with bumpers, extensions and the grill. I have also added Bilstein HD shocks and lowering springs. The headliner will be attacked at some point. The first thing I had to do was front brakes. While I was driving back from Denver the brakes went to metal on metal some where east of Pierre, SD. I had to limp it home.
In the winter of '10 I installed the 2.1 and later 5-speed into the '87. I was going to keep these for my Rally Car project. Unfortunately, the kid didn't believe a screeming throw out bearing meant anything. The result was a blown clutch and siezed bearing on the shaft. In goes the 2.1 and cold cast 5-speed. Swapped out the intake and the distributor in order to use the existing harness in the car.