short of owning a garage queen... - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
11/22 Member of the Year Voting
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
rust is hard to avoid completely, at least around here. See the link below for my post on the general bb re this (too hard to type the same stuff over and over on many threads).
Just be thankful you now live in Arizona! You have more sunny dry days to drive your SAABs so they should last a long time. I've got 3, but my winter beater has basically now succumbed to rust after 30 years, which is pretty good. Many cars don't last 10 years.
Our 2004 9-5 is our newest car and the body is free of any visible rust because I rust proof it, but it did have a tiny paint bubble on each of the doglegs within a year of purchase. One issue there - I had sprayed extra rust proofing in that spot, but a lot of dirt collects in there, which in the winter is salt laden dirt/slush mix that freezes in place. A concentrated dirt/salt layer forms in the cavity, so spraying alone is not enough. You need to remove the wheels, fender liners, and get in there and clean first... of course the fasteners easily break off while removing the fender liners (rust)... after cleaning, the rust proofing is more effective...
That is the reality of buying a used car - it is not new, it is not perfect from the start, and it takes a thorough going over to make things mostly right (you'll never get perfection, but the more you put in, the more you get out, obviously with diminishing returns at some point)...
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Sad Day, CraigU , Fri, 9 Jun 2017 10:22:08
- My theory as to why owning and wrenching 9-5s is good, Boris Bubbanov, Thu, 15 Jun 2017 13:03:57
- But why?, Paul from Palmyra, PA, Sun, 11 Jun 2017 01:56:18
- Mine is on the brink of goodbye, Bill h., Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:05:18
- XC 60?, Stephen Goldberger, Sun, 11 Jun 2017 09:48:37
- Re: Mine is on the brink of goodbye, cheaptech , Sat, 10 Jun 2017 13:19:31
- When you go into the Chevy dealership...., S-Works, Sat, 10 Jun 2017 12:45:57
- Re: Mine is on the brink of goodbye, neil dale , Sat, 10 Jun 2017 12:13:45
- Is the recirculation flap motor functional?, dmz789qqq, Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:51:15
- Is it contagious?, SWEDECAR , Fri, 9 Jun 2017 13:11:07
- I still own three Saabs, but....., MI-Roger , Wed, 14 Jun 2017 04:48:59
- Re: Is it contagious?, southsaab , Sat, 10 Jun 2017 12:14:14
- Re: Is it contagious?, EGD , Fri, 9 Jun 2017 13:39:343
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!