Re: lots of info on this - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
There has been a lot of interest in this in the cycling community ("ageing athletes"), generated by an article by Lennard Zinn in Velonews last year (search on 'Lennard Zinn heart", "cycling to extremes", etc.), he relates in some detail what happened to him and what the procedure for nerve ablation is like in difficult cases. The article can be found on the Velonews web site, no subscription or sign in required.
I have several cycling friends who have been through this, in one case it didn't work (couldn't map the right nerve), in another case it worked, and in yet another case it worked for a while, but the afib came back after a few months. My understanding is that the procedure itself is "safe", but it is certainly not comfortable to undergo. When it doesn't work, I guess you stay on drugs (beta blockers, etc) that limit the max heart rate.
Anyway, afib is a common enough occurrence in older endurance athletes, there are lots of articles out there. Good luck...
Posts in this Thread:
- Questions about ablation surgery for afib, SWEDECAR , Wed, 18 May 2016 08:33:29
- I'm no expert, adl6009 , Sat, 21 May 2016 17:21:52
- Coupon less, AdamSAAB2kAero , Sat, 21 May 2016 13:23:19
- Re: Questions about ablation surgery for afib, mlc , Fri, 20 May 2016 08:46:50
- Get it done........, andym, Thu, 19 May 2016 16:03:151
- Re: Questions about ablation surgery for afib, Dennis_MA , Thu, 19 May 2016 15:30:07
- Re: lots of info on this, kenS , Wed, 18 May 2016 15:39:34 <-- Viewing This Message1
- Re: lots of info on this, SWEDECAR , Fri, 20 May 2016 20:11:29
- Thank you, SWEDECAR , Thu, 19 May 2016 10:35:29
- That article by Lennard Zinn has good info, no matter, RS , Thu, 19 May 2016 10:16:35
- A neighbor had this done about 10 years ago, MI-Roger , Wed, 18 May 2016 14:46:591
- Re: Questions about ablation surgery for afib, EGD , Wed, 18 May 2016 13:49:562
- Re: Questions about ablation surgery for afib, K W, Wed, 18 May 2016 13:12:044
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!