Re: Individual sports are the only ones that count (IMO) - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I'm not sure that that is true. Some of those team sports (eg hockey in Canada) are so popular that just to get to that level, you have to be extremely elite as an athlete. Players like Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo in soccer, or Sidney Crosby in hockey can virtually pull out a win almost independent of the rest of the team. But superstars aside, all are athletes with a lot of grit and mental toughness or they would not be playing at that level. Many played other sports in their youth and probably still could (eg many wide receivers are good sprinters).
I would say though that some of the individual sports you see in the olympics, eg Bobsled, or speed skating, or biathlon, or whatever are late specialization sports... so you need a good base of athletic development appropriate to the sport and then you can tune the specific skills later. Some sports like soccer and hockey benefit from early sport-specific body mechanics that players best develop as youngsters (pre-teen) that are hard to really learn as deeply later such that they could break into the system (eg, would be hard to train an olympic runner to use skills as fluidly as Neymar).
On that note though, I miss having the NHL players in the men's hockey this time around... I think the competition has been interesting, but it is not quite at the same level as when all the superstars are present representing their countries. Of course, Canada has tons of depth in terms of all star NHL'ers but I say this not just from the perspective of wanting Canada to win, but more so from the perspective of having the highest level of skill and speed and intensity to watch!
->Posting last edited on Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:11:38.
Posts in this Thread:
- OT: Olympics and Aja Evans Seated Box Jump, MI-Roger , Tue, 20 Feb 2018 17:37:581
- Re: OT: Olympics and Aja Evans Seated Box Jump, cheaptech , Wed, 21 Feb 2018 14:48:25
- Re: OT: Olympics and Aja Evans Seated Box Jump, Snowmobile , Wed, 21 Feb 2018 10:33:52
- Individual sports are the only ones that count (IMO), Noel , Thu, 22 Feb 2018 13:41:03
- Re: Individual sports are the only ones that count (IMO), Snowmobile , Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:10:53 <-- Viewing This Message
- Something needs to be done with the sliding sports, MI-Roger , Thu, 22 Feb 2018 17:31:51
- Re: Something needs to be done with the sliding sports, cheaptech , Fri, 23 Feb 2018 08:41:34
- Re: Something needs to be done with the sliding sports, Snowmobile , Fri, 23 Feb 2018 08:26:25
- Re: New Sliding Sport -- Carling, Landjet , Fri, 23 Feb 2018 10:36:23
- Oh, DE , Fri, 23 Feb 2018 13:34:03
- Re: Oh, Landjet , Fri, 23 Feb 2018 13:48:36
- Well sure, DE , Sun, 25 Feb 2018 15:44:07
- For Pure, cheaptech , Sun, 25 Feb 2018 18:49:48
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!