Re: Have you used an Auto Transport Service to ship a Saab? - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
! The auto transport business is a largely unregulated minefield as per the DOT and our experience ! Whilst most drivers are honest, hardworking men ( and a few women ) who are just trying to make a living, support their family, they, ( and us ) are at the mercy of a system. the way it works ( usually ) is you contact a broker who puts it on a secret computer board for drivers to bid on. frequently, a broker will low ball a bid the price too low to get you to do a ( verbal and or written ) contract w/them! ( do NOT agree with w/ this until you talk to several brokers and get a realistic idea of the price! the drivers are mostly independent and can bid on, accept any $ amount but most want to Make $! Once you agree to a price it is difficult to go backward! Many times the broker will tell you a silly low price, put you under contract and then call back in a couple days and say "no driver will agree at that price you need to pay more " very close to a scam ! the price also depends upon whether you want an open or enclosed transport? - be clear what they are quoting for ! Ask them to put it up front behind the cab - As it is better protected if going open. Enclosed is often twice as much $ but of course, an exotic/expensive car should go enclosed! Be sure you insure your new car BEFORE it is on the truck as their, drivers, brokers insurance varies and has LOTS of loopholes so they can pay 0! The broker makes 100-400$ usually, the driver the rest, very few brokers actually own their own trucks and many will lie and say they do! If you go w/ a major company they MAY own their own trucks .( and be booked for months in advance ) You may be surprised how many cars are being transported from a small town back east to your small town ! the drivers try to load up their trucks near the same beginning point and deliver to the same end . It is often cheaper easier if the seller can take the car to a bigger city for more cars on that route/loading and these trucks are NOT small! PS pay w/a credit card if possible, One broker told me a price, I paid them their cut ( you pay the balance in cash or certified check to the driver upon delivery! ) and when the driver did not pick up the vehicle on time, I canceled the charge w/ the help of the bank and booked another broker/ driver ! PS tip the driver ! they work hard! PSS one horror story, make sure you make note of the miles when they load the car! one exotic vehicle had been unloaded, the battery swapped for a dead one - they had to jump it to get it off the truck when it was delivered! ( the PPI tech had taken photos ! ) and there were receipts from a strip club inside and 50 + extra miles and it arrived 2 days late Luckily, MOST drivers are honest!
Posts in this Thread:
- Have you used an Auto Transport Service to ship a Saab?, Scott Paterson , Thu, 12 May 2016 20:54:07
- Golden Key Express, AeroBaron, Wed, 8 May 2019 05:42:381
- Jackie Brown - Transport Broker, Scott Paterson , Sun, 3 Mar 2019 17:49:26
- Re: Have you used an Auto Transport Service to ship a Saab?, neil dale , Mon, 25 Feb 2019 16:25:20 <-- Viewing This Message1
- Re: Have you used an Auto Transport Service to ship a Saab?, Al T., Fri, 22 Feb 2019 18:08:56
- Coast to Coast Auto Transport, Mike Johnson, Mon, 16 May 2016 11:18:40
- Re: Have you used an Auto Transport Service to ship a Saab?, David W Young, Sun, 15 May 2016 23:40:20
- Pilot Transport, TG, Sat, 14 May 2016 03:45:37
- BD Towing in VA, JMJinNC, Fri, 13 May 2016 05:50:27
- Re: Have you used an Auto Transport Service to ship a Saab?, stopsaabn , Fri, 13 May 2016 03:49:31
- uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace, Scott Paterson , Thu, 12 May 2016 20:58:17
- Montway Auto Transport - Nationwide, Scott Paterson , Thu, 12 May 2016 20:56:38
- Splendid Transportation in CT, Scott Paterson , Thu, 12 May 2016 20:55:04
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!