Re: isn't Rotella too much zinc for catalytic conv cars ? NO - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
There is some discussion on that point. I've read on the topic extensively. . May I summarize ? The fact is Rotella has been reformulated and is now recommended for cars AND trucks . The level of zinc has been reduced ( It is still more than most oils ) Even w/ the old formulation? ( where it was a "Diesel " oil It was very usable w/ No harm. I carefully researched it and the SLIGHT risk of catalytic converter being affected was FAR outweighed by the superlative protection and benefits of the near miracle additive ZINC ! The evidence that the levels of zinc in the prior formulation would actually CAUSE damage was slight to non-existent and driven more by the Auto manufacturers fear of having to warranty a catalytic converter! Now that the levels of zinc are further reduced the risk is IMHO very slight, insignificant. Not an issue and worth the minuscule risk! I recommend it and use it.
Shell Rotella T-6 has been said by many oil engineers to be truly " the finest oil in the world " - ( In an old issue of "Nines" magazine . )
->Posting last edited on Wed, 10 Apr 2019 22:50:24.
Posts in this Thread:
- Oil change, Gus, Thu, 14 Mar 2019 11:39:48
- Re: Oil change NO don't change oil W/ due to age of the motor, neil dale , Fri, 22 Mar 2019 13:30:38
- Re: 0w40 is on the thin side., Brian, Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:15:00
- "ORIO Oil Guide", a little long, Paul from Palmyra, PA, Sat, 16 Mar 2019 13:02:18
- Re: "ORIO Oil Guide", MI-Roger , Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:40:18
- Mobil 1 0w40 is still sold at Walmart ($25/5qt), dmz789qqq, Sun, 17 Mar 2019 09:01:46
- Now I see!, Paul from Palmyra, PA, Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:01:14
- Re: Oil change, bobc , Fri, 15 Mar 2019 05:56:13
- Re: Oil change, Tom G , Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:09:22
- Re: Oil change, Gene N , Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:51:54
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!