Date: 17 Aug 1998 17:23:43 GMT From: FEDavisnopsamdnet.att.net (Fred E. Davis) Subject: Re: Hot instruments!
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:37:43 -0500, Kyd Brenner <kbrennernopsam.org> wrote: >I have a new (to me) '97 CSE. Is there a good explanation for why all >of the instrument panel controls (lights, radio & cd - including >faceplate) are hot to the touch? Doesn't interefere with anything but >it seems like all this heat is going to cook the wiring well before its >time. Most of the instrument panel controls are illuminated, and in some instances this could be the source of heat (especially if incandescent lamps are used). There is also considerable heat generated by the electronics in the dash, such as radio, climate control, etc, that can be causing some of this heat as well. Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD) sometimes employ heaters behind them to prevent sluggish response in cold weather, and you can feel the warmth by touching the display. As to whether this will damage the wiring prematurely, I really don't think so, since the heat from parking in the sun can cause considerably greater temperature peaks than all of the systems in the car, and the wiring has been engineered to handle these temperatures (and more) with aplomb. I wouldn't worry, unless of course you see smoke (:O !!