Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:10:07 GMT From: "Jez" <jl.webnospamorld.com> Subject: Re: Terminal diagnosis but car still running, and due MOT - any advice?
Hmm... did I mention that as soon as I bought it it went wrong and I had to replace the aic valve and the ecu? Thanks for all the advice, though, everyone. I've booked it in for an MOT and will make a judgement based on that. Neo Brothers have given me a price of about £485 for a recon gearbox when the time comes, and I reckon the fitting shouldn't be too much more than that if I stay away from Saab accredited garages. Cheers, Jez "Per Laursen" <per.laursennospamSPAMil.dk> wrote in message news:41376997$0$238$edfadb0fnospamd14.news.tele.dk... > Slightly OT, but just to put your cost in perspective: > > Bought a 1995 9000 CSE 2.3 LPT in excellent condition with 150,000 km on > it > two years ago for [insert breath-holding pause here] the equivalent of > around £15,000 - and was fairly happy (not a bargain, but considering the > state of the car - ok). Spent on a brand new car, that would have bought > me > a KIA something. Poor KIA. > > Here in overtaxed DK we pay for 2.8 cars, but get only one.... > > Personally, I would happily pour anything less than £1000 a year into it > to > keep it running (hasn't happened yet, though). > > regards > Per > > "Jez" <jl.webnospamorld.com> wrote in message > news:XcqZc.270$Oo1.113nospamfe1-win.ntli.net... >> Hi, >> >> I have a 1996 9000 CD Eco Turbo with 70,000 miles on the clock. I bought > it >> 8 months ago for £2,500 and I do about 8,000 miles per year. >> >> It's been diagnosed with a faulty/deteriorating automatic gearbox pump, > and >> I'm told that the cheapest way to deal with it - recon gearbox - will > amount >> to well over £1,000 if I go to a Saab approved garage, and something > around >> that much if I go to a normal garage. I was also told (by a Saab approve >> garage, second opinion from non Saab approved automatic transmission >> workshop) that it might go on for several years with no more problem than >> being noisy, and it might pack up tomorrow. It also has a cracked > windscreen >> (definite MOT failure) and is due four new tyres and who knows what else. >> >> I have to MOT it in two weeks. Does anyone have a view on whether I >> should >> do any of the following: >> >> Just scrap it - it's not worth the gamble that it could pack up two days >> later >> >> Pay for the MOT test, and if only the windscreen and tyres come up, pay > for >> those and hope the gearbox pump lasts long enough to justify it >> >> Pay for all that any fairly reasonable amount of extra work, e.g. >> consumables like brake pads >> >> Take it through the MOT and then also pay for the gearbox pump repair if >> it's necessary in the next year >> >> Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. >> >> Cheers, >> >> Jez >> >> > >