Re: ATF spec for '08 9-3 Aero XWD Aisin 6-speed tranny - Saab 9-3SS Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main 93 Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Most Recently Edited Saabnet.com Photo Galleries]
Re: ATF spec for '08 9-3 Aero XWD Aisin 6-speed tranny
Posted by Justin VanAbrahams [Email] (more from Justin VanAbrahams) on Tue, 8 May 2018 11:45:50
In Reply to: Re: ATF spec for '08 9-3 Aero XWD Aisin 6-speed tranny, Timothy Cassidy, Mon, 7 May 2018 17:16:18
There really isn't a "drain and refill," so to speak. Removing the drain plug & stand pipe plug will drain about 3l of the 7l (IIRC) the transmission holds. The only way to get more fluid out is via the cooler lines, ideally using a transmission fluid flush machine. I've seen people improvise such equipment, but I'm not sure I'd try it personally.
Assuming you're planning on doing multiple 3l replacements to eventually get most of the old fluid out, you'll be doing about 4-5 replacements. There really isn't anything all that complicated in that work. My approach:
1. Let the car sit at least overnight to let as much fluid as possible settle out
2. Remove the T40 drain plug, recover about 1.5l fluid
3. Remove the 12mm allen stand pipe, recover about 1.5l fluid
(I use an actual large measuring cup to know exactly what I got out)
4. Replace the stand pipe, torque to 33 lb ft
5. Replace the drain plug, finger tight
6. Remove the battery (10mm socket)
7. Remove the plastic battery tray (3x T40 torx, some plastic clips)
8. Remove the T55 fill plug (it's ROUGH the first time, some Kroil etc. may help)
9. Add 3l of fluid, plus a little more - 100ml should be plenty
10. Replace the fill plug, torque to 30 lb ft (not gonna lie, I do 28 lb ft)
11. Replace battery tray & battery
12. Start the car, plug in Tech 2, monitor trans fluid temp. Needs to be 30-45C.
13. Once operating temperature is reached, cycle the gear selector between P/R/D pausing 2+ seconds in each gear, repeat twice
14. Ensure car is fully level, place drain pan under drain plug, remove T40 drain plug and ensure fluid runs out. You need to ensure it's more than a dribble, more than the stand pipe might have accumulated. Let it mostly run out, then refit the drain plug. Torque to 7 lb ft.
I've been doing this operation once a week for three weeks, and I'll do it twice more. It takes about 30 minutes, so it's not terrible. Remember that you need to reprogram anti-pinch on the windows after replacing the battery.
Costs a bloody fortune - Pentosin ATF1-LV is $50/5l from Amazon, and I will have gone through 15l of it. OUCH. On the last pass, it's probably worthwhile to replace the aluminum crush washer on the stand pipe, and the rubber o-ring on the drain plug. I'm not going to worry about the crush washer on the filler.
posted by 12.195.130...
Posts in this Thread:
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!