NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
|95 Bulletin Board|
Hi Harrison -
My advice: 1) Install a correct new battery (Fleet Farm top line are good for a few less $$) and 2) If nothing changes, do the voltage drop test for the Positive battery cable (search for details, it's not as simple as just checking the battery voltage).
I'm in Minnesota too, and I've had four 9-5's (last two have been given to my daughters, but I am the mechanic). "Your mileage may vary", but I don't expect more than three years out of even a high end battery in our 9-5's. Driving conditions differ, but the under hood temps are high, and heat kills batteries, then cold shows the damage. I know that some cars may go a lot longer than this depending on conditions, but my goal is no battery surprises.
The battery cable CAN be the problem, but I have tested the cables on both of the two 2006 9-5's I maintain, and they are in great shape. Each of those cars has had battery issues though. Admittedly in one case because my daughter did only short trips in the winter with headlights on as DRL's. The heat / cold combination is especially deadly to batteries, because if they sit discharged they can freeze and plates get damaged - that's on top of the summer heat problem.
Best of luck on this - let us know the fix.
Mark in Marine
Posts in this Thread:
- Battery or Alternator Issue question, Harrsion, Mon, 13 Aug 2018 18:34:03
- Re: Battery or Alternator Issue question, Bill N, Thu, 23 Aug 2018 12:49:13
- Re: Battery or Alternator Issue question - Update, Harrison, Wed, 22 Aug 2018 07:21:28
- Suspect battery first, even if voltage seems high enough, Mark in Marine , Wed, 15 Aug 2018 10:14:31 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Battery, I make it just for you, Tue, 14 Aug 2018 08:16:32
- Re: Battery or Alternator Issue question, mlc , Mon, 13 Aug 2018 20:13:35
- Re: Battery or Alternator Issue question, crawdad , Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:27:01
- Re: Battery or Alternator Issue question, crawdad , Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:23:56
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.