HI there, I am hoping someone can give me some advise re my Series III Speedometer.
I'm at my wits end and any of the main work around solutions (replace and try again) are very tricky being in Australia.
So the odometer in my speedo broke last year, I had to buy some other bits off Jack A so I also sent my speedo back for a rebuild. Before it left the speedo read just fine, no spurious needle movements. But on taking it out I did move the cable route thinking it didn't look right. The car also has Air Cond and a tubing duct runs thought that void as well, causing the cable to flex around it (under and over).
The Cable also had a cracked "fat" section close to rhe gearbox which I previously overclad to stop it breaking.
I received the speedo and all the other bits I ordered last week and spent Saturday fitting them all.
I tokk the car our for a spin and while the odo worked perfectly the SPeedo read all over the place and would stick at 70-80mph.
I wrote back to the Ashcrafts and they are sure it is the cable and some evidence points to that but I am unsure all does.
So I've spent hours trying all different things.
At best now it no longer sticks but up to 25mph it seems al ok but after that its goes wild.
If I do reroute it badley it will stick. I don't understand why a cable binding etc woudl cause a needle to stick.
At its worst doing 2500rpm in top it will register 100mph. It does creep up and also swings plus and minus 30mph
What I want to know is
Is it a speedo issue (I don't understand how it can read so high or stick at say 70mph if its a cable)?
Is it a cable issue?
Is it the drive in the transmission - if so how do I tell and fix it?
Is it the routing through the dash cavity? Does it go over or under the fwd/aft flatbat directly behined the tacho.
SO what have I done wrong?
I've run the speedo /cable assy on a bench with a drill. It usually runs better, athough loading the cable end at the speedo will case some issues (so it seems)
Ive checked the inner drive cable and its all smooth anbd kink free. both ends are nicely square.
I've lubed the cable and it runs smoothly with little pressure needed.
I've run teh cable every possible way - seems to make no difference in tha the problem never completely goes away. It can get a lot worse
I removed the fat section of the cable and put a new sleeve there.
Oh Early on I broke the plastic locking nut (it was playing up before then) and I've secured it to the speedo by slotting the tube that slides ofver the speedo and use a jubilee clamp to hold it. Using the drill it all runs ok when attached.
My only options seem to be
Send Speedo back and hope Jack finds something (an $80 round trip just in postage)
Buy a secondhand speedo and hope it works - a $200 effort unless someone has a cheaper one available
Find a "new" old cable and fit that - I haven't seen one for sale.
Any advicde gratefully received.
posted by 119.40.111...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!