It's the same deal with J.C. Taylor, the company that insures my '68 Sonett. When I had an engine fire 2 years ago, the adjuster totaled my car (I stupidly only had it insured for $5000) :-(. I had to "buy" it back for $500.00 - the highest bid from the online salvagers I was told. I didn't bother to chalange the bid, or try to find out who the high bidder was, I just went with it. So, bottom line - Taylor paid me $4500.00, which was almost enough to have the car restored to it's original cond. (before the fire). (I actually spent double that amount making "improvements", as you may know.)
I have a suspicion that all the antique/classic insurers work this way. From this experience, I think that the wise thing to do, is to insure your car for at least $500 more than it's actual value. That way, if it gets totaled, and you want to keep it, you might actually end up getting paid an amount closer to your full coverage.
So how much did you pay to keep your cars? Just curious.
posted by 69.236.166...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Sonett Values - Old Cars Price Guide - Feb 08, Jim H, Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:45:24
- Updated Sonett valuations, Eric Kriss, Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:16:53
- Re: Sonett Values - Old Cars Price Guide - Feb 08, Jonathan Bartlett, Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:56:26
- Re: Sonett Values - Old Cars Price Guide - Feb 08, SaabDude , Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:21:31
- Re: Sonett Values - Old Cars Price Guide - Feb 08, Randy Clark, Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:47:42
- Re: Sonett Values - Old Cars Price Guide - Feb 08, 1 Owner Sonett , Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:48:02
- Hmmmphh!, UpstateNY Bill , Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:36:18
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!