Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:06:36 GMT
From: "KeithG" <>
Subject: Re: Fiberglass fenders? Available for 900?

Hear, hear! It would make reading technical manuals that much easier. Wait a minute, many well built cars are built in Germany. Why don't we just adopt German for discussing vehicles. Bumper - Stossdampfer. ;-) KeithG "Kenneth S." <> wrote in message > Dave Hinz wrote: > > > > danny ( wrote: > > : Doesn't the word "fender" give it away a little - as opposed to "bumpers" or > > : otherwise, over here > > > > Ah. I knew about the hood/bonnet, trunk/boot, wrench/spanner type of > > pairs, but never knew that fenders here were bumpers there. > > > > What do you call the bumpers, then? (the horizontal bits that hit stuff > > before the paintwork) > > > > Dave > > This is a common misunderstanding among British people. The items > called "fenders" in the U.S. are NOT bumpers. They are what are -- or > at least used to be -- called "wings" in the U.K. Thus, before they > went out of favor, there used to be things called wing mirrors in the > U.K. > > Bumpers are bumpers on both sides of the Atlantic. > > Personally, I think there ought to be an international agreement under > which fenders would replace wings -- a really silly name -- in the U.K. > In return, convertible tops in the U.S. would be called hoods, which is > what they are. Of course, a consequential would be that Americans would > have to stop talking about hoods, meaning the bit of sheet metal on top > of the engine. They could become engine covers, if the term "bonnet" is > considered too prissy. Why can't the G-8 negotiate these important > matters, instead of wasting their time on such trifles as debt > forgiveness?

Return to Main Index

The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2020 - The Saab Network -
For usage guidelines, see the Mission and Purpose Page.
[Contact | Site Map | on Facebook | on Twitter | Shop Amazon via TSN | Site Donations]