Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:35:14 GMT
From: Craig M. Bobchin <>
Subject: Re: Help me decide on a replacement car

Walt, I live in the cereal bowl of the US, the land of Fruits, Nuts and Flakes, Southern California. As yet I have not seen any E-85 around here. But I would definetly consider it as a viable alternative. My 9k is running fine and in fact my wife is now using it as a daily driver while I drive the Viggen. It takes some getting used to such a change in dimensions. I've see the Mazad6 in Hatchback & manual, but for only 5hp more than the 9k, and 3 inches less rear legroom, I don't think its worth it. I won't look at the 4cyl version of the Mazda as it is too big a car to get by on so little HP. So we plan on keeping both Saabs for now, until the 9k dies. But I will do some mods to put more fun into it, New ECU (who is better Maptun or Abbott?), Moded suspension, I don't want a super hard ride, just better control in corners and such, Wood trim (probably Joshua Tree for that), and a few fixes. I'll keep you posted if I find anything else. I did think briefly about the Chevy Malibu Maxx, which seems to be an ugly reincarnation of the 9k, but quickly said NO!!!! In article <T%4Lf.36538$>, says... > Craig, > > I have exactly the same quandary and had the same revelation with the > Mazdaspeed 6. It is particularly disappointing because the original > Mazdaspeed prototype was designed around the hatchback, but was changed to a > sedan to provide better frame rigidity. I don't really need the all-wheel > drive, so my alternative was the Mazda 6i with an aftermarket turbo > ( I may need to rethink that > plan too. An online search of dealer inventory at shows than > none of the 10 dealerships within 25 miles have a 4 cyl, manual hatchback > and haven't had one in the past 4 months that I have been checking. Other > small problems such as the turbo cost of US$3795 plus installation, it not > being EPA approved and I live in an area that requires emissions tests also > come into play. > > I managed to fix my stalling 9000 that has been out of action since > October - primarily since I was out of town and didn't have the time to look > at it. The problem ended up being a US$18 coolant temperature sensor > available at the local AutoZone. But, as you note, the car won't be that > reasonable to repair all the time. > > If I can, I plan on waiting for the BioPower 9-5. The appeal of buying > US$1.69/gal. fuel (the current price for E-85 in my area) vs. US$2.49 for 98 > RON unleaded and then getting an extra 30 hp may cause me to waive the > hatchback requirement. > > Please keep your findings posted. Since we seem to have the same taste in > cars, we may be able to buy together and get a quantity discount! > > Walt Kienzle > 1991 9000T > > > "Craig M. Bobchin" <> wrote in message > > > Believe me I'm biased towards Saab as well. I'm on my 4th Saab, and it > > is only the lack of a true replacement for the 9k that prompts my > > question. > > > > At some point the upkeep on the 9k is going to be more than is > > economically worthwhile. I'm trying to head that off at the pass. > > > > My feeling is this: I like both cars (9k and Viggen), my wife is blase' > > on both (even though she has been primary driver on the Viggen), so if > > we have to get rid of one I don't know which I would get trade in. > > > > If only Saab had a 9-5 hatch or a true replacement for the 9k Aero it > > would be a no brainer, But alas, they don't. > > > > I just found out the Mazda Speed6 is sedan only and no fold down rear -- You have no right to protection against being offended.

Return to Main Index

The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2021 - The Saab Network -
For usage guidelines, see the Mission and Purpose Page.
[Contact | Site Map | on Facebook | on Twitter | Shop Amazon via TSN | Site Donations]