Best Material for Impact Sockets? - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
Following decades fighting ever tighter lug nuts on not one but two SAAB Aero's -- a 1995 9000 and my current 2002 9-5 -- I purchased a breaker bar with 3/4-inch drive. But when I tried to locate a 17mm, 3/4-inch drive impact socket I discovered 3/4-inch drive sockets are nowadays only available through industrial suppliers. So from locating suppliers comes a new question: What is the best material? Choices are Black Oxide, Black Phosphate, Phosphate, or Natural. Prices range from $12.65 for Phosphate to above or well above $100 for the Natural in standard or deep metric impact socket size.
I realize 3/4-inch drive is likely overkill here so suspect a basic impact socket will do but appreciate any input. I was unable to locate a "black iron" breaker bar as recommended by my SAAB technician and the strongest one I could find was made of chrome-polished chrome vanadium steel and came only with the 3/4-inch drive. Apparently the only way to purchase a true "iron" breaker bar is through an industrial supplier.
posted by 73.154.5...
Posts in this Thread:
- Best Material for Impact Sockets?, Name Left Blank, Fri, 14 Sep 2018 12:28:52 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Best Material for Impact Sockets?, Jeremy R., Sat, 15 Sep 2018 19:53:50
- Re: Best Material for Impact Sockets?, SRS900S, Fri, 14 Sep 2018 20:12:36
- Re: Why Why??, Roger D , Fri, 14 Sep 2018 19:29:41
- Re: Impact Sockets?, Tom g , Fri, 14 Sep 2018 16:42:36
- Re: Best Material for Impact Sockets?, steve, Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:48:34
- Re: Best Material for Impact Sockets?, Bill Bartman, Fri, 14 Sep 2018 13:55:46
- Re: Best Material for Impact Sockets?, Bill Bartman, Fri, 14 Sep 2018 12:31:57
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!