NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
|C900 Bulletin Board|
1979-1993 & 94 Conv
Catalytic converters helped solve the smog problem -- hydrocarbons that eventually fall back to the ground. Catalytic converters burn those hydrocarbons, but also convert them to lighter gasses such as CO and CO2. It has been suggested that the cat solution is extreme and contributes to increased greenhouse gasses.
Any car that required a cat when it was manufactured are required to maintain a cat. In my mind I can justify my choice to run without a cat, but I don't because it is federally mandated, and I would have to pay a fine if caught. Actually, I choose to have my cars inspected rather than run classic plates -- which in Rhode Island limits your road use.
The back-pressure affect with the original SAAB part appears to attempt to negate back-pressure with the larger diameter chamber -- that is, larger than the connecting exhaust pipes. I suggest the effects of a straight-pipe (also called a test pipe) in place of the cat are negligible. After-market cats are different. They're all different dimensions, length and diameter, and generally smaller.
It is still your choice.
Posts in this Thread:
- Do I need my cat?, Derek900, Sun, 12 Nov 2017 06:45:22
- Re: My dog says no!, Frak , Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:16:392
- Re: Do I need my cat?, Tom g , Wed, 15 Nov 2017 20:49:04
- Re: Do I need my cat?, AaronG, Sun, 12 Nov 2017 15:39:05
- Re: Do I need my cat?, StoicBlue87 , Sun, 12 Nov 2017 07:14:08
- Re: Do I need my cat?, Saabina, Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:15:25
- Re: Do I need my cat?, Justin VanAbrahams, Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:01:28
- Re: Do I need my cat?, Bloodnose , Sun, 12 Nov 2017 09:38:43 <-- Viewing This Message
- OK, OK, derek900, Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:40:25
- Re: OK, OK, Snowmobile , Sun, 12 Nov 2017 19:07:28
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.