Doing a 160k service on two 1999 9-3 SE. One is a 5-speed has 160k mi. one is automatic and has 145k mi. Both have had struts and shocks replaced recently enough. Neither is making any suspension creaking. So I think just the basic service stuff. Below is my NUMBERED list (to make it easier for you to target your replies).
Mainly wondering if I should be looking at something a little deeper than usual, like:
CHANGING VALVE COVER GASKET?
CHANGING HEAD GASKET?
ROUTINELY REPLACING ANY HOSES?
--- here's my plan for both ---
1. Oil & filter change (too late in their lives to switch to synth I reckon?)
2. Drain plug & washer.
3. Fuel filter and 4 washers.
4. Air filter (one has K&N which I think I will toss out and just use paper from now on)
5. Cabin Air Filter
6. Coolant flush (is the thinking here that Mercedes antifreeze is magic? or generic okay?)
7. PS fluid top up (is flushing recommended or simple top up?)
8. ATF on the automatic.... drain and refill.
9. (anything I should do for the 5-speed? turbos?)
10. Clean throttle bodies. Perhaps mod/smooth the transitions there?
11. Spark plugs: NGK BCPR6ES (I just saw this recommended here yesterday over the 7's they sell on eeuro)
12. Brakes/rotors are all new, but should I also bleed and replace fluid?
Really, wondering if y'all think changing gaskets is a good practice at this milage (i can see oil on the block of course) and the squished plastic gasket on the valve cover looks pokes through here and there.
Thanks for all your advice in advance.
posted by 67.5.243...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!