When cellphones were simple cell phones, they could last a long time. Nowadays, the phone is increasingly becoming a way of selling consumers a personal computing device that can have a monthly rent put on (service charge for the phone/data service). That makes for a different market dynamic, especially IMHO the phone as a data device has not yet reached the mature/saturation point like the desktop computer. The rapid phone updating thing is not done until the devices can put out HD or 4k video via HDMI or wireless HDMI / wireless USB / wireless PCIExpress, or even have a projector built in. Until the point is reached where the pocket device can deliver all the functions of a desktop / media center computer, there is always a "killer app" to induce upgrade. That makes it especially unsuitable to have an integrated device fixed to the car itself.
I arrive at the objection to built-in's from the exact opposite direction as the technophobes . . . I want and enjoy the latest electronic devices and their functionalities; I want a "blank mount" interface that the latest electronic devices can integrate into cars after the car leaves factory and can be continuously upgraded throughout the car's useful life cycle. Luxury cars, being the likely early adapter of new technology before the saturation/stable point is reached, is especially prone to have half-baked new tech devices permanently affixed to it.
Another neat thing about blank/configurable mounting points on the limited available driver space (dash) and standard power outlets is that no one really knows which direction the next development will come from. IMHO, with cars integrating high power electrical systems in order to meet new stringent fuel consumption requirements, a very simple and neat feature can be as weird as mounting point for a miniaturized K-cup or Expresso machine! So the driver can be kept awake during the long drive through the middle of nowhere at night . . . or just the daily morning ritual. I'd take the k-cup machine in car over the satellite radio for morning commute any day.
posted by 24.91.39...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Making cars more connected, Noel , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 05:59:34
- Audio-in, USB,, 120V outlet, and flat dash with panel, Tim, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 05:48:40
- Re: Making cars more connected, ursaw, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 21:57:08
- Generally I am opposed to "connected" cars; however, MI-Roger , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:16:46
- stay away from these cars, bic, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:17:41
- Not connected enough for my taste - so don't bother..., dmz789qqq, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:37:32
- Remember Car Phones? yeah. exactly. nm, Simon S, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:57:39
- Great point and the best reason for avoiding this crap, No Snaab , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:50:55
- Remember wooden wheels? Remember steering levers?, Justin VanAbrahams, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:07:14
- Just barely, No Snaab , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:50:12
- Re: Just barely, Justin VanAbrahams, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:27:49
- Built in nav, BAH!, nwas, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:50:42
- Cost and Benefit Analysis, Reality, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:32:26
- Re: Built in nav, BAH!, Justin VanAbrahams, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:21:46
- All of you guys..., Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:59:32
- Re: Built in nav, BAH!, Son of Saab, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:40:18
- Re: Built in nav, BAH!, nwas, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:57:16
- I'm a Luddite..., James, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:43:41
- Re: Built in nav, BAH!, TML, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:13:07
- Bull cookies!, Noel , Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:08:02
- Re: Built in nav, BAH!, kkelley, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 22:02:50
- Re: Making cars more connected, Eric Law, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:10:56
- And here's where I contradict myself..., Eric Law, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:51:50
- Gee, what a bunch of Luddites! Just kidding!, Noel , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:57:35
- I do not want my car hacked, sam, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:09:47
- Don't see a need for it, JerseySaab , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:14:39
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!