Verizon started requireing a data plan january of 2010-ish. I was working there at the time. The phones Pre that requirement do not need a plan, the ones that came after that do. Their reason for this is two fold. First and formost, it means more money for them. second, a lot of the phones you simply cannot turn data off... So if you didn't have a data plan, you would be racking up data charges right and left (a huge problem when people could go without smart phone plans...) so it was just easier for them (less credits to give out). also a lot of companies, like blackberry/apple/google/motorola, get a piece of that data plan to support their severs. that's why blackberries charged 30 bucks for a personal plan and 45 for a corporate plan. so if you pick up like an old trio 650, or a moto q, you can activate with no data plan. iPhone? no.
posted by 140.198.115...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Stupid Smart Phone Question, STICKMAN, Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:14:43
- Flip phone versus Smart phone, MI-Roger , Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:30:35
- Independence, frugality, stubborness & the here and now, AeroBaron, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 06:52:00
- But if I buy a USED smart phone..., STICKMAN, Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:32:03
- Verizon specific info, nwas, Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:50:44
- Re: Stupid Smart Phone Question, bender , Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:38:24
- Re: Stupid Smart Phone Question, JerseySaab , Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:56:43
- Re: Stupid Smart Phone Question, Tio Barry, Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:50:03
- Re: Stupid Smart Phone Question, Simon S, Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:41:30
- Re: Stupid Smart Phone Question, AdamD, Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:20:47
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!