A solution for deteriorating Throttle Linkage Rubber - Saab Vintage Models Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main Vintage Models Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
A solution for deteriorating Throttle Linkage Rubber
Posted by pauldridge [Email] (more from pauldridge) on Fri, 29 Jan 2016 17:08:29
I am guessing that most every Saab 96 owner has the same issue as me: The rubber joint that connects the throttle linkage to the carburetors butterfly shaft is now 50 years old and just hanging by a thread.
I had to resort to holding my rubber joint onto the shafts with hose clamps, but finally one day, that gave way as well, leaving me with no throttle control, on the side of the road. I was only a mile or so from my destination, so I jammed the throttle almost wide open, cranked up and blasted down the road in 3rd gear at full throttle to reach my shop.
Enough of that. Some of you may have watched as a NOS rubber coupling offered on eBay recently soared to over $80 before bidding closed!
I found a much less expensive and durable solution:
A small universal joint to completely replace the rubber.. sourced on Amazon..
This little joint has a 1/4" ID, and fits the throttle linkage shaft nicely, via grub screws (as the Brits say).
On Amazon for $24.. after successful installation, I bought a second to have as a backup: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HW724Y/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004HW724Y&linkCode=as2&tag=thesaabnetwork
To install, I removed the nut holding the metal disc on the carburetor side of the linkage, and replaced that nut with a deeper one I made by welding two together. On the other side, I screwed a metric bolt of same size slightly into the nut, and welded it into place. I then had to turn that bolt shank down slightly to 1/4" diameter to fit the u-joint.
Then it was just a matter of cutting the matching metal disk off the car side of the linkage, and tightening the u-joint screws onto each shaft:
The joint works perfectly, and promises to hold up for the duration. I hope my description of the task wasn't too confusing.
Posts in this Thread:
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!