|The Saab Network Mailing List FAQ|
[ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup - Members see fewer ads. - Latest Member Gallery Photos
Crankshaft pulley removal - '88 9000T automatic [saabnet.com]
Posted by Ken Bell - http://saabnet.com/tsn/forms/e.php3?em= (more from Ken Bell - http://saabnet.com/tsn/forms/e.php3?em=) on Thu, 12 May 2005 11:53:03
I have to replace the crankshaft pulley (it finally separated completely, a few miles after
passing an emissions inspection using a dynamometer). This is on an '88 9000T with automatic
transmission. The SAAB repair manual refers to a special tool that will immobilize the crankshaft,
permitting 'easy' removal of the pulley; is there a good source for this tool?
I have also read about just jamming a large screwdriver in between the starter and the flexplate
gear (automatic tranny), but I'm reluctant to do this so as to not damage the teeth on the
I've also seen a recommendation to just position a ratchet on the pulley nut and briefly crank
the engine over to loosen the nut. It's reportedly 'safe', but still worries me. What direction
(clockwise or counterclockwise) does the crankshaft rotate when looking at the crankshaft pulley
from the passenger side?
Finally, is the pulley nut right or lefthand threaded (clockwise to tighten or clockwise to loosen)?
Lots of questions here. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
To send a response, just hit reply!
The Saab Network - On the Internet Since 1988
Out of this World Cars at Down to Earth Prices!
Posts in this Thread:
- Crankshaft pulley removal - '88 9000T automatic [saabnet.com], Ken Bell - http://saabnet.com/tsn/forms/e.php3?em=, Thu, 12 May 2005 11:53:03
- Re: Crankshaft pulley removal - '88 9000T automatic [saabnet.com], robert.blumberg - http://saabnet.com/tsn/forms/e.p, Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:25:17
- Re: Crankshaft pulley removal - '88 9000T automatic [saabnet.com], KB0NNH - http://saabnet.com/tsn/forms/e.php3?em=36, Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:23:59
- Re: Crankshaft pulley removal - '88 9000T automatic [saabnet.com], B. Don Massey - http://saabnet.com/tsn/forms/e.php, Fri, 13 May 2005 15:24:15
- Re: Crankshaft pulley removal - '88 9000T automatic [saabnet.com], Herb - http://saabnet.com/tsn/forms/e.php3?em=15, Fri, 13 May 2005 15:11:45
This is a moderated FAQ - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. TSN has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
TSN Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.