It depends where in the Northeast. I bought a 97 CSE from Manhattan four years ago. The car was kept in a heated garage and washed indoors by the attendant. The underside was like brand new.
If the car is from rural upstate NY, MA or Vermont, there is very little road plowing when you get off the main roads. Some places use sand rather than sodium cloride.
I suppose that a car parked on the street in Boston might get esposed to a lot of salt, but the colder it is outside, the slower a car rusts.
I have heard that the worst city to buy a used car is Chicago. I can say the best I've seen would be Oregon. There are so many pristine older cars there.
Ask the seller to send you a photo of the underside before you come up. But I'm not even sure where 9-5s would rust.
posted by 24.107.85...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Salt, rust, and northeastern Saabs . . ., Jeff Warden, Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:17:53
- Re: Salt, rust, and northeastern Saabs . . ., Henry, Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:25:37
- Stay away from Cleveland cars...., GregD, Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:01:28
- To wash or not to wash?, dmz789, Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:00:31
- Re: Salt, rust, and northeastern Saabs . . ., Charlie, Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:59:56
- Re: Salt, rust, and northeastern Saabs . . ., AeroLady, Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:50:21
- Jeff, there is definitely a difference....., TERRY, Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:31:52
- NO.....Salt, rust, and northeastern Saabs . . ., Herb Hirsch , Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:26:50
- Re: Salt, rust, and northeastern Saabs . . ., DW, Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:22:15
- Re: Salt, rust, and northeastern Saabs . . ., frogboy55, Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:57:02
- Re: Salt, rust, and northeastern Saabs . . ., compaqted, Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:06:26
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!