NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
As "modern" engines don't wear out in the 100k miles that old cast iron engines did, but instead go 200,000-300,000 miles before showing "wear" I'm not surprised that the weak link has shifted from the piston/rings/valves of yore to the cam's and lifters.
Certainly this "virulent new disease" must have some immunity in regards to Saab or we would have heard about it on Saabnet.
A flat cam killed my 1986 Alfa Spider, but it wasn't terminal. A new cam and lifters made her good as new.
It seems to me that worn lifters and cams are never going to make an engine self destruct, just run poorly and need repair, unlike a broken cam belt or chain that will cause piston to valve interference in many engines.
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- a mysterious disease striking down old cars, JohnA , Fri, 5 Nov 2010 19:38:58
- Stronger chains, weak link...., Mike Lynch , Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:09:36
- Type of lifters in Saab B204/205/234/235 engines?, Tim, Sun, 7 Nov 2010 06:03:44
- Re: a mysterious disease striking down old cars, turbocon86, Sat, 6 Nov 2010 06:08:26
- ZDDP additives, DougM , Sat, 6 Nov 2010 04:36:26
- Re: Saab 9K oil, BobS, Fri, 5 Nov 2010 22:54:45
- So I'm guessing that, Noel , Sat, 6 Nov 2010 07:48:12
- Re: So I'm guessing that, BobS, Sat, 6 Nov 2010 14:35:32
- May be a tad over-reactive., Noel , Sun, 7 Nov 2010 07:20:46
- Re: May be a tad over-reactive., LesH , Sun, 7 Nov 2010 07:42:45
- Re: May be a tad over-reactive., Tim, Sun, 7 Nov 2010 13:20:08
- Mobil 1 0-40 in Boston, Slug , Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:22:10
- 0W-40 Availability, BlaaSaab, Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:16:56
- Re: May be a tad over-reactive., Simon S, Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:08:43
- 30 vs 40, LesH , Sun, 7 Nov 2010 19:02:34
- Mobil 1 5W-40, IanC , Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:56:52
- I know this, Les. I also know that, Noel , Sun, 7 Nov 2010 11:22:38
- Why I use a diesel engine rated oil in my 9-5, MI-Roger , Sat, 6 Nov 2010 06:09:12
- Re: Saab 9K oil, pete, Sat, 6 Nov 2010 05:19:58
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.