The air gap you have is actually the ideal insulation. Air is the world's best insulator next to a vacuum. The issue is leaks into the void. If the building is brick, I'd concentrate on just stopping any air transfer where the brick meets something else.
$160/month? You can do better calcs than I can here by examining total bills for the year, degree days, etc, but even a serious cut isn't going to generate much return per year.
OTOH, you might be able to increase comfort upstairs - but only if the issue is external heat or draft. If it's system design as you mention, then insulation won't make a huge difference. Note that high Summer temps upstairs might be better dealt with by installig attic ventilation and/or cooling.
Lastly, heat rises. How's your attic insulation?
I can't see how tearing down all your interior walls, doing new drywall, and insulating will pay back very quickly, but you do the R value & calcs. It might even be worth hiring a heat loss engineer to do a little building analysis (hire a guy who does analysis, not installations, or the results will be pre-determined).
posted by 173.76.11...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- OT: remedial insulation of 125 year old house, TML, Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:58:07
- Can you blow in from the inside??, MI-Roger , Sun, 15 Jan 2012 08:52:50
- No brainer. Blown in cellulose., James, Sun, 15 Jan 2012 05:42:30
- Lath. You mean lath, not lathe., Erik919kt , Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:29:06
- attic, James, Sun, 15 Jan 2012 05:45:49
- Re: attic, TML, Sun, 15 Jan 2012 05:53:57
- walls, James, Sun, 15 Jan 2012 08:31:23
- more info, TML, Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:49:27
- Blow your own, Noel , Sat, 14 Jan 2012 15:14:29
- Re: OT: remedial insulation of 125 year old house, RichF, Sat, 14 Jan 2012 14:46:38
- Re: OT: remedial insulation of 125 year old house, TML, Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:01:45
- Not, nwas, Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:00:14
- Re: Not, RichF, Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:35:56
- Re: Not, TML, Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:07:22
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!