NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
IMO, I think that many of their owners enjoy intimidating other drivers on the highway.
I have no beef against anyone who buys a large pickup truck with a legitimate business case for doing so (e.g., hauling livestock, or a 15,000 pound RV trailer). But many I see on the freeways here are not used for any kind of useful work, or if they are, for turning a profit.
My particular gripes:
1) Driving an oversized pickup truck at 80+ mph while changing lanes as if it were a BMW.
2) Lifted trucks *under any circumstances*. These monstrosities belong off the road, and are killing machines on the highway. We SAAB owners are justifiably proud of our car's crashworthiness, but it will be for naught if we get hit at high speed by one of these. Their bumpers don't match up with other vehicles, and will simply roll over them while obliterating the cabin which was not designed to withstand an eye-level shearing impact.
I remember when the state DMVs had teeth and rigorously enforced vehicle codes. Nowadays, it seems that anything goes.
In my father's day, pickup trucks were sensible vehicles built for utility purposes - not as a machismo lifestyle statement nor as a tribal cipher. My dad literally ran them well past their fully depreciated values and rarely bought new.
Monster Truck Ownership
'99 9⁵ SE (LPT)
'04 9⁵ Aero
Posts in this Thread:
- I'm convinced it's inherent to pickup trucks, GFW3pedals , Fri, 8 Jun 2018 06:57:121
- Re: I'm convinced it's inherent to pickup trucks, Dan-O, Fri, 15 Jun 2018 05:40:11
- It's not what you drive..., AdamSAAB2kAero , Mon, 11 Jun 2018 13:41:56
- Anything truck like, MI-Roger , Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:04:08
- I hate most oversized - and especially lifted - trucks, DnstrDan , Fri, 8 Jun 2018 11:52:43 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: I'm convinced it's inherent to pickup trucks, cheaptech , Fri, 8 Jun 2018 11:01:27
- Re: I'm convinced it's inherent to pickup trucks, JerseySaab , Fri, 8 Jun 2018 09:09:23
- Re: I'm convinced it's inherent to pickup trucks, RS , Fri, 8 Jun 2018 07:55:46
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.