Woohoo. I think you're way off base here.
Look at the mercury cougar. That's doing well from a company known for old person car--mercury. If you build a good car, people will come and buy it. There was a lot of good buzz about the intrigue and the alero. But when people looked closer--cheap materians and poor construction. And lot of negative buzz about reliability.
I also disagree that GM does what's good for the stockholders. They do so in the short term. Chopping off olds will put a bit on money in their pockets for a few years.. But then the lost buyers, both the olds faithful and buyers scared by the percieved weakness of GM.. Will stream away. Long-term choice would have been to lose money on olds for awhile while building reputation, after which olds would be profitable. But that would take foresight.
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Oldsmobile gone. Is SAAB next? (rantings), Dinger, Fri, 15 Dec 2000 22:49:48
- 9-5 vs. Olds Aurora, John R. Boyce, Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:04:50
- Another Oldsmobile fan here, Atul, Tue, 19 Dec 2000 20:20:05
- My condolences...., AdamB , Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:32:06
- Saab's new designer 'stolen' from MB not VW n/m, Paul , Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:43:06
- I feel for you!, Scott Paterson , Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:23:44
- Reality sucks doesn't it?, Bruce, Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:32:51
- Re: Oldsmobile gone. Is SAAB next? (rantings), RJ, Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:23:17
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!